• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1101 4 pin to 12 pin-no brake lights help, please

hound46

I "think" I did everything by the numbers in wiring a 4 pin connector to the 12 pin male trailer end. I switched the 24 volt incandescent lights in the tail lights for their 12 volt counterparts. The LED and incandescent running lights and blinkers work. The brake lights don't. Is there a possibly simple reason and fix for this? I've googled and searched. No luck. I thought the blinkers and brakes ran on the same wire?

Last edited:

glassk

I did everything by the numbers in wiring a 4 pin connector to the 12 pin male trailer

maybe those numbers were wrong

ke5eua

Kinda odd you have turn signals but no brake lights as they are on the same circuit comming off the 4 pin connector.

--- Ground
--- Tail Lights (Running Lights)
--- Left Turn Signal (Brake)
--- Right Turn Signal (Brake)

Disconnect the adapter you made and use a known good trailer as a test subject to see if your vehicle is working correctly. A VMM (multi meter) can be very handy also in figuring this out.

Change pictures.

1wiring.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

hound46

I think the answer lies somewhere in that Toyota runs a 5 pin plug and to go to 4 pin, you need some sort of an adapter. I think the previous owner of my vehicle may not have done this.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the answer lies somewhere in that Toyota runs a 5 pin plug and to go to 4 pin, you need some sort of an adapter. I think the previous owner of my vehicle may not have done this.
Bingo! Knowing you were working with a 5 wire vehicle in the first post could have netted you with correct info there. There is a converter needed for 5 wire cars and trucks.

hound46

I had a Ford 250 for 16 years. I saw the 4 plug on the Toyota and thought it was stock like on my Ford. Previous owners father says it's not stock and thinks there's a converter that wasn't used. Everything is easily accessible so I just have to learn about the 5 to 4 pin adapter and where to put it. Had my head spinning for 2 days. The 4 to 12 pin conversion I did seemed simple and logical. Back to the books.:cookoo:

ke5eua

I had a Ford 250 for 16 years. I saw the 4 plug on the Toyota and thought it was stock like on my Ford. Previous owners father says it's not stock and thinks there's a converter that wasn't used. Everything is easily accessible so I just have to learn about the 5 to 4 pin adapter and where to put it. Had my head spinning for 2 days. The 4 to 12 pin conversion I did seemed simple and logical. Back to the books.:cookoo:
Can get the little black boxes at Walmart, autozone, etc

hound46

That's good to hear. Are you familiar with what goes where before the 4 wires(I'm assuming) leave the box?

hound46

It's a 2008 FJ cruiser. Some Google and more educated searches should help now that I know what the problem is, but personal experience/knowledge you may want to share would be great.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks