• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1101 and SF-97

ron993

forgive me if this is already posted, I could not find the answer.

I currently have an M101A3 that I pull behind my H1 on camping trips and when I purchased it it came with the SF-97. I am currently helping one of my friends wife to get him a trailer for christmas. I have found an M1101 on craiglist that is in really good condition but he does not have the SF-97. How important is the SF-97 form?

Here is my trailer
729.jpg

PHasty

GovPlanet Rep
forgive me if this is already posted, I could not find the answer.

I currently have an M101A3 that I pull behind my H1 on camping trips and when I purchased it it came with the SF-97. I am currently helping one of my friends wife to get him a trailer for christmas. I have found an M1101 on craiglist that is in really good condition but he does not have the SF-97. How important is the SF-97 form?

Here is my trailer
View attachment 696215
Depending on which state they live in, trailers with a GVWR under 2000# can normally be titled with a Bill of Sale with no issue. Texas is one of the more lenient states in this regard. I would highly suggest talking with the local subcourthouse versus the DMV since they are more likely to help. Just my experience from living in our great state!

ron993

On my trailer I just registered it in Maine, the trailer I am looking at is in Mississippi and he told me all they need is a bill of sale a serial number and description. I just wasn't sure how important the SF-97 is. I would really like to find another m101a3 but have only found 1 in the panhandle of Oklahoma, 10 hours away .

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the Craigslist seller bought it at a GP auction, he can still get it after paying the fee.
Then he could hand it over to you.

Other methods already mentioned.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Texas, trailers heavier than 4000 lbs gvw need titles. As the 1101 is a 3/4 ton trailer, a title is not required and the SF97 is not required either. Paying for one is a waste of money. 1102 trailers gross out at 4200 and need titles/SF97s.

ron993

so how do I know that the trailer has been released by the government and not stolen? My m101a3 came out of the Florida niational guard and it came with the SF97.

m715mike

On my trailer I just registered it in Maine, the trailer I am looking at is in Mississippi and he told me all they need is a bill of sale a serial number and description. I just wasn't sure how important the SF-97 is. I would really like to find another m101a3 but have only found 1 in the panhandle of Oklahoma, 10 hours away .
Edit.... nevermind... I had bad info

Last edited:

ron993

i would rather find one closer to home but have not had any luck. I am looking for a trailer that has all the roof bows and canvas

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Contact fuzzytoaster on this site, he has nice 1101s with canvas and SF 97s in College Station.

ron993

already sent fuzzytoaster a message, no reply yet.

here is the trailer i found in Mississippi. He is supposed to get me more pictures of it this evening

00M0M_bBpqm2VmZId_1200x900.jpg00R0R_4arVD8oqK5C_1200x900.jpg00t0t_2tZB05Y58M5_1200x900.jpg00Z0Z_4BtmoeIxEvB_1200x900.jpg00303_5MtS74ljLyl_1200x900.jpgI

What do ya'll think about it

Chief_919

In most states an SF-97 given to you by a seller is worthless. It is made out in their name, and only they can apply for a title with it. They cannot transfer it without being a dealer.

I see lots of people who buy a vehicle and are given an SF-97 by the seller who then can't do anything to get a title because the seller didn't do the right thing and title it in their name first.

86m1028

I have a couple up near Dallas.
I'll have to check if they are 01's or 02's
Complete minus the tarp.
No titles, bill of sale only.

In Texas, trailers heavier than 4000 lbs gvw need titles. As the 1101 is a 3/4 ton trailer, a title is not required and the SF97 is not required either. Paying for one is a waste of money. 1102 trailers gross out at 4200 and need titles/SF97s.
The law seems pretty clear. However, Harris County - Houston Texas was having a absolute fit when I went to register my M101-A2.

I had my printouts showing the purchase, and the GovPlanet paid invoice required to pick it up. It showed the size & weight to the trailer, the type & S/N, and that I paid for it and was the new Owner.

The Tax office keep going on that they needed either (A) A previous Title signed over to me (which you don't get from .gov auctions on trailers), or something called A Certificate of Manufacture. Otherwise, they would not process my registration or title. (Clear Lake Harris County Annex). The Girl at the Window, spoke to her manager, who then got his manager, who then made calls and they turned me away three times. I don't know if it was something specific to Harris County or just that location, but they made it a total P.I.T.A. Oddly, I didn't have any issue at all registering a CUCV truck with just a SF-97...

Don't know if that is the experience of others in the Houston Area, or just that one office, but now I completely understand the stereotype of the unhelpful clerk at the DMV after that fiasco...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks