• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1101 Brakes locking up?

mrfishaholic

I just picked up a M1101 from the auction at Ft Lewis. When I was driving it home I stopped at a stopsign and the drivers side tire locked up SOLID. I couldnt get it to budge..... I tried setting and releasing the hand brake, and then just pulling forward and backward, and eventually I got it freed up. It did it again a few miles later when I came to a complete stop, I went back and forth with my truck again, and a few minutes of dragging that tire on the pavement yielded it freeing up.

Anyone know what the problem is? No problems at all with the passengers side tire. (is there an adjustment for the manual hand brake that might be sticking?) anyone have any answer as to what I need to do to ensure it is fixed so that I can trust it on the road?

I have it parked in my yard now, and will move it into my shop to work on it as soon as I know what I need to do.

Thanks guys!!!

Welder Sam

im dumb to these models, as most models but... is it a surge brake type? what was ur tow vehicle? i had probs with my 105a3 brakes dragging... was pulling it with 12 395's in it with a pickup. all i could figure is that with the load and tounge angle, the brakes couldnt release. after knifing the brake hosse, i had no more dragging brakes.. just a thought

mrfishaholic

I am towing with a chevy 1 ton dually, I have the tow height adjuested properly with the pintle receiver I have so she tows flat and level. I appreicate the idea though..... any other thoughts?aua

Nonotagain

Quite possible that the lunette is hanging up causing the brakes to be applied.

I had issues with M105A3 trailers after they sit for a while the brakes will drag very badly. One the 105, there are 8 rollers that need to be greased.

Not owning one of the newest trailers trailer versions, I can't say for sure, but the next time the brakes lock, break the line lose coming out of the master cylinder then see if the trailer will pull. If it pulls fine after bleeding the fluid, the lunette is hanging up and needs to be serviced.

3dAngus

I had a crimped handbrake line on one of my trailers. Sometimes the internal line would be snagged inside the brake line corregated sheath and not release. The crimped line was under the trailer and I associate it with forklift damage where it was pinched.

Do a thoural exam of the lines underneath before you spend money or try difficult tasks in troubleshooting.

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The other thing I have had happen is..........people that are
unfamiliar with the " break away " feature of these surge brake
units. I went to pick up a M-101A3 and someone had yanked
the chain on the surge unit which was holding the brakes partially
applied..........took a minute to figure it out but once I pryed the
spring clip up and released the breakaway lever ( the one with
the small chain and hook attached) the brakes worked as designed.
Not saying this is for sure your problem as I am not sure that
the M-1101 uses this type surge assy. but it came to mind when I read
your post.2cents..........popacom / Bill in Ky.[thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks