• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1101/M1102 Bows and Canvas Questions

Navy GiJoe

I was looking through a manual when I came upon the page for the M1101/M1102 and noticed that the front of the canvas is at a slant. I had seen one small picture of this and thought it was a local modification because I have never seen any other pictures of trailers like this. So I went to the TM and sure enough it says IF one of the bows is shorter than the others, put it at the front of the trailer.

So now my questions. Are all of the trailers suppose to be this way? How much shorter is the front bow? And do you need a special canvas for it?

Thanks to anyone who help answer the questions.

Attachments

Radiogeek99

Just Another Guy
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My bows are the same height, I have friends that have these trailers and theirs are the same height. The bows have metal plates on top that keeps the cover from sagging, I don't know how that would work with a shorter bow in front. John

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
pretty sure it had to do with the first generation, but was changed later. Have seen some HMMWVs with the same setup and since it was supposed to duplicate it... that's where it came from (at least that's a fairly solid assumption). Probably long changed or forgotten now. Makes sense to just have all 3 the same height.

Navy GiJoe

So if it was a first generation thing, that was then changed, is it safe to assume that the tarp was different and it has also been changed?

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So if it was a first generation thing, that was then changed, is it safe to assume that the tarp was different and it has also been changed?
Yes....

Side note, I haven't seen a sloped trailer tarp. So, I'm doing a bit of assuming. The CASCOM sustianment guide (where your PDF is from) along with a few others have shown sloped tarps, I'd have to look at mine at work tomorrow to see if it still does (2014 or 2015 version). Although that doesn't mean that it's actually sloped, there's a number of errors in the book when it comes to pictures... sloppy work by whomever consolidates it.

going back to your first question, would you need a special tarp with a sloped bow... if you had a shorter bow you could either just raise it or make sure a non-sloped tarp, is on tight and deal with the looseness/difference.

Navy GiJoe

Hi Bikeman, I'm not sure where the PDF originally came from, I got it from a PDF called ILLUSTRATED EQUIPMENT DATA REDUCED DIMENSIONS AND WEIGHTS FOR TRANSPORTABILITY OF VEHICLES AND
OUTSIZED EQUIPMENT, but it was not dated. My M1101/1102 TM is dated from 2001, so obviously a lot can change since then. Here are the only two pictures I have seen that appear to show the sloped front. One is obviously an M1101/1102, the other was labeled as being one on Olive Drab website, but it must be an early production model.
09ab04f3-4a13-47f1-a3af-d787689cc09e-11172015-cropped-Soft Top Vinyl Green Cargo Cover and Bow K.jpgid_ltt-hmt_01_700.jpg

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yeah, the ones I see are straight. the canvas also looks different than those photos.

I know the document you're familiar with. I just went through it. shows a few outdated things, such as a M35A2C still in use (even though I guess the USAF has some based on some photos we've had on here.

CASCOM guide is still showing M101 trailers where they should be showing M1101/2s no big deal.

hs10

I just got a new tarp for my M1102 trailer. It is designed for bows that are the same size. No slop in the front.

Does anyone know what the minimum design temperature for the M1102 trailer trap? I am in a very cold weather environment. I would assume that they designed it for a wide temperature range.

KansasBobcat

Don't know lower extremes but south Texas sun will destroy them over a period of years. I keep a plastic tarp over my trailer since it stationary. Cheap insurance considering replacement cost.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks