• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1101, M1102, S-250 Shelter

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tried out my S-250 in one of my M1102's the other day. Loaded it in, but the legs I made were for the M101A3 and did not clear the wider M1102 sides, so had to block the shelter up about 3 1/2" (two 2x4's). I took it out and pulled the combo at 50 m.p.h., then 55, 60, 65, and 70; it was very stable. At each speed I whipped the steering a bit to cause trailer fishtailing and the combo settled out in about three diminishing oscillations; i.e., the combo pulled d@mn great! Too bad for me I can't convince the wife this is a good camping set-up. Combo was pulled by a 2000 Dodge Dakota quad-cab 2wd with the 4.7 V-8 and auto trans. No special suspension or other mods. 12" hitch riser to get the trailer close to level. About 20 p.s.i. in the trailer tires. Did not have to cut anything down or leave the tailgate off.

002_web.jpg 005_web.jpg 011_web.jpg 003_email.jpg

This same unit resting in the back of an M101A3 with the air conditioner installed at the rear next to the doors caused bad fishtailing above 40 m.p.h. Probably due improper weight distribution (A/C unit weighs about 150 lbs) and maybe bad shocks on the trailer axle; not sure. Need to try towing the S-250 in the M101A3 again without the A/C unit after checking the shocks.

Last edited:

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I measured the trailers I have: M1102 and M101A3. From the center of the hub to the center of the hitch lunette was only a difference of about 2" (the M101A3 was actually longer), and they are the same width to the outside of the tires. So I think the biggest reason for better tracking was the removal of the 150 pound A/C unit at the top rear corner of the shelter, and possibly better shocks on the M1102.

dstang97

I have the same set up in my m101a2. I made it into a camper also. Got any pictures of the inside. Look for my build thread in a week or two.

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Inside of my shelter; was a telephone switching center. Left side, then right side:

012_rot_edit.jpg011_rot_edit.jpg

Removing the telephone panels in the walls would allow for windows. There is some kind of blower (probably for ventilation) in the upper front wall.

Last edited:

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did some work on it: the hitch was damaged; see this thread, pages 2 & 3: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?113731-m101a3-woes

I took it for a test drive with an S-250 shelter in the back (about 775 pounds); got up to 65 mph in steps and no fishtailing even after causing it on purpose. Also three "emergency" stops and no pulsing or other braking problems. I really believe it was out of balance with the AC unit on the upper rear.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I put my golf cart in my M101A3 I have a sway problem. The cart is very heavy in the rear. I ended up strapping a spare on the tongue against the front of the bed. It worked out great.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks