• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1101 M1102 Spare Tire Carrier

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 2010 M1102 and built a spare tire carrier:

001web.jpg002web.jpg003web.jpg005web.jpg006web.jpg013web.jpg017web.jpg
I made 12 gauge tire rails, used 2" x 2" x 1/4" angle side-to-side for the center brace, 2 1/4" x 1/4" steel hub spreader with 1/2" pins to index the lug holes, 3/8" all-thread rod and chain to tighten up the tire and lock it (would use 1/2" if I did it again), 3/16" galvanized steel cable on a 3/8" black pipe rod with a nut at the outer end same as the lug nuts (uses a 1/2" drive socket and breaker bar). As can be seen, only about 2 1/2" of ground clearance is lost. The only mod to the trailer besides the new holes is the three-light bar has to come off because there isn't enough clearance between the tire and the lights with wires and plugs. I cut off the rivets, took the lights off the bar, and bent the bar to a U-shape and bolted it to a piece of angle. Tongue weight is mildly reduced. The rim is for a regular civilian Hummer H1 (cheap at the time) which means I had to buy a set of flange lug nuts as the stock, tapered ones won't work. I will get a stock rim some day, maybe. I would also make the tire rails about 4" longer to the rear.

Last edited:

maxtor

Looks like you did a great job. Since the stock hummer tires have run flat inserts, just wondered why the need for a spare?

SLOrazorsedge

If you blow a hummer tire, they simply fly apart down to the runflat. You can limp on the run flat but they too shred and come apart. I blew one on a M101A3 coming back from Barstow in 115F degrees. We had a spare but it **** neared killed my son and I from heat stroke. The lug nuts are locking type and even with a 3/4" drive ratchet its a Mfr....spare on a trailer if your traveling any distance is just sage advice.

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I never go anywhere out of town without a spare tire for the vehicle I have. When I borrowed a friend's two-axle car carrier, I bought a spare tire and rim combo because he didn't have one, then built a carrier for that too. I'm in a desert area like SLOrazorsedge; a blown tire on run-flat parts is OK for the trail, but I don't think the Calif. Highway Patrol would let me cruise 150 miles from the desert to home like that, even as liberal and forgiving as they are. Wouldn't want to, anyways.

Thanks for the kudos, though!

rustystud

I never go anywhere out of town without a spare tire for the vehicle I have. When I borrowed a friend's two-axle car carrier, I bought a spare tire and rim combo because he didn't have one, then built a carrier for that too. I'm in a desert area like SLOrazorsedge; a blown tire on run-flat parts is OK for the trail, but I don't think the Calif. Highway Patrol would let me cruise 150 miles from the desert to home like that, even as liberal and forgiving as they are. Wouldn't want to, anyways.

Thanks for the kudos, though!
After an adventure towing my buddies forklift home on his car trailer I always carry spare tires for everything now. We where about 40 miles from home when one of his tires blew out the air stem ! After getting a spare we went another 10 miles and blew out another tires air stem ! Another spare tire and we finally got the trailer home. Now I also have steel air stems in all my riggs .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks