• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1101/m1102

hwcurtice

So, tell me, other than these are 'new', why these are so neat?

The ones that I've seen on auction seem to have lots of extra hardware on them that don't seem to have much use in the real world.

Weightwise, the 02 seems lighter, but their bigger? Or is GL doing a bad job of listing them? Doing a GVW as opposed to an empty vehicle weight?

The one bad thing I see is that they don't seem to have side rails, which cuts down on how high you can stack stuff, and the ones with bows and covers don't seem to help that either.

I guess the real questions is, should I stick with my m101A2 or maybe swap it out for a newer trailer?

hwcurtice

Well, I bought my trailer to use for hauling and such. Comes in real handy.

Most items bought through GL are for not general use, I know. Its mostly for the "Look what I have!" thoughts.

When I look through the auctions, I do think, "Now, what would I use that for?" and if I can't think of a good reason, I move on.

Sounds reasonable, doesn't it? I know. I'm one of a few people. Very few....

Okay,, maybe one....

Firejareen

The 1101 and the 1102 are the same trailer, except the 1102 is rated for a little more wieght. Yea they don't have very much for siderails but they have the same rough floor space as an M101A3. Personally I would stick with the 101 since you can put the sides on it. The only change in trailers for the military was it was designed to be pulled behind the HMMWV. Whereas the 101 was an older design.

3dAngus

Probably twice the price. Saw several go for average of $825 the other week, down from $1100-1200 a couple of months ago. Also, some had covers.

Flyingvan911

Here is the Steel Soldiers hierarchy of needs.

1. It's very cool.

2. I can afford it.

3. I have somewhere to keep it.

4. Someday I might have a real use for it.

Ripcord01

^^ I doubt they are getting that much. Egay charges a 10 % fee for vehicles. So 10 of the sale goes to egay. And who in their right mind would but them astronomical prices. Most are higher than retail..

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1101 and 1102 are the same. The difference in nomenclature and weight rating come from the intended prime movers. See the TM.

They are great trailers, and while I haven't owned one of my own I've used Uncle's quite a bit. I prefer the design of the 1101/02 over the 101, but if I already had a 101 I'd stick with it. I owned a personal 101 for awhile and I'd say for my uses the difference would be negligible. I've considered buying another light trailer, and for the prices I've seen 1101/02 trailers going for (from GL) this time around I'd get one instead of a 101A2.

I can't imagine paying $2000-2500 for a M1101, I too wonder if these guys are getting that much for them. More power to 'em if they are...

Attachments

penokeevet

I see that quite a few are being offered on Govt. Liquidators. I picked up a nice (appears to be unused) one from Ft. Huacchca (?). Would bid on another one if I thought it would be the same quality, then sell or give one to my son. I've had the same question on other items, 18+ years old and less then a thousand miles, and selling. At least it provided someone with a job when they were making them. Also gives us the opportunity to acquire a piece of military equipment that we can use, preserve, and pass it on to someone else.
penokee