• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1101 new to me trailer help wanted please

mciikurzroot

Supporting Vendor
I just bought this M1101 Tan color trailer, seems in terrific shape, towed it home from the San Antonio area on Thursday and while i was told about the good suspension and other plus features, i took it as mild BS till we started the trip home using my late model Tahoe, it pulled great.
So the question and need for help, im near sure i want to convert down to more typical 8 bolt rims and tires, my trailer need is real and this will serve me well to use as an everyday utility trailer, all suggestions/advice welcomed please...
Thanx much mac/mc MCII Generator & Electric

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are great trailers ive had 4 of them you can use 8 lug gm wheels on them with alot shorter sidewall tires to get the height down you need to replace all the light bulbs with 12 volt bulbs (they will be brighter) than the 24v bulbs that come in them ! If you have not made a pigtail for your lights from the pull vehicle let me know ive got a conversion chart around here if your using the military pigtail.

Zed254

So the question and need for help, im near sure i want to convert down to more typical 8 bolt rims and tires, my trailer need is real and this will serve me well to use as an everyday utility trailer, all suggestions/advice welcomed please...
Thanx much mac/mc MCII Generator & Electric
Here's what I did: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threa...eels-for-a-hmmwv-trailer.204195/#post-2376598

The original thread has a lot of good info showing wheels that others have used.

tobyS

Bolt pattern is 8 x 6.5"bc, same as most trailers and old trucks. You can go lower with an axle mod. Myself, I also change to a 2 5/16" ball. Caution....the newer 180mm bc will not fit without an adaptor.

If your plan is to keep the surge brake, take the actuator apart and check for bent internal parts. It looks like most that have any use at all, show signs of stopping hard and bending the internal bracket. It's not hard to bend these parts back into shape so there is no or little play (origina position).

Attachments

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will you convert it to a dump trailer?
Converting a m1101/2 to a dump would require a ton of work as it is constructed very similar to a unibody car/truck with a zillion beefy rivets.

IMHO, a m101 would be a much better candidate but they have a weakness at the hinge point and are only designed to fold for storage/transport not everyday use as a dump and new castings/parts are unobtainable....ymmv

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks