• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1101 question and information.

maxtor

I just received our license plate for our 2011 M1101 trailer. :clinto:

My next project is to change the electrical plug end to a flat 4 pin type. I have already changed the bulbs to 12 volt.
The next project after that is to figure out a way to lower the front of the trailer or raise the truck hitch to match up to our Jeep and pickup. The pickup hitch is 21 inches from the ground. The trailer is 29 inches from the ground when the trailer is level. I could make a plate to raise the truck hitch to the 29 inch height, but our Jeep wrangler has a spare tire that would interfere with a longer plate.
I have not figured out the best way to solve the problem yet.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

dnote

I literally just wired up my 4 pin yesterday afternoon. I have a M101A2 but it should all be similar if not the same. (This is all new to me so someone who knows more can confirm or deny this.)

I searched around on here and found the 3 wires it needed to tap into via female bullet connectors. Search for the wiring lists that name each numbered tag that are on the wires. Screwed the white wire for ground to the previous ground wire spot on the tongue. Took 15 minutes and I suck at electrical stuff. Original I was going to cut the end off the stock harness but just popping it off at the junction box proved much easier!

AceHigh

Small world, I did the same thing yesterday with the exception of the 9 clearance bulbs that still need changed out. One way to lower the M1101 is to change out the HMMWV wheels and tires to GMC pickup wheels and tires, I plan to check on this later. It doesn't look like there are any easy options out there to raise the lunette.

10Lugger

I too bought a m1101 but opted to buy Erik's plug adapter, just on the chance I may be able to use behind future truck. I will save the old bulbs. Note: OBS ford SD rims should fit also.

M1Kodiak

I literally just wired up my 4 pin yesterday afternoon. I have a M101A2 but it should all be similar if not the same. (This is all new to me so someone who knows more can confirm or deny this.)

I searched around on here and found the 3 wires it needed to tap into via female bullet connectors. Search for the wiring lists that name each numbered tag that are on the wires. Screwed the white wire for ground to the previous ground wire spot on the tongue. Took 15 minutes and I suck at electrical stuff. Original I was going to cut the end off the stock harness but just popping it off at the junction box proved much easier!
I just did this step a couple days ago as well. The instructions for the M101 trailers say to plug in the taillights (brown wire for 4 flat) into plug #21, but the M1101 has plug #23 instead that is the taillight plug. I also replaced the HMMWV tires for 245/75/R16 tires and wheels and it lowered the tongue about 4 inches. I also changed out the taillights and turn signals for 12v bulbs, the clearance bulbs seemed very bright regardless of the 24V bulb, or maybe they are just LED?

dnote

I too bought a m1101 but opted to buy Erik's plug adapter, just on the chance I may be able to use behind future truck. I will save the old bulbs. Note: OBS ford SD rims should fit also.
I thought about that as well but I'll never own a military's vehicle bedsides this trailer so there was no point.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M1101/2 series of trailers have either all incandescent bulbs, all LED, or a mix of both depending on the contract it was built under.

maxtor

Thanks for all the help. I will tackle the wiring tomorrow. I just received our Historic license plates for our M923A2 , so I am putting them on first.

maxtor

I just finished wiring our trailer. Everything works, but I am a little uneasy with the 18 ga. wire. The wire on the trailer is 12 ga. Later I would like to replace the 18 ga. wire with at least 12 ga.

RustyM923

I have the same trailer and am struggling with the lights.

The clearance lights are all LED, as are the blackout and blackout brake light.

The actual parking/marker light is a 623 (Incandescent) and the Brake bulb is a 1683 (incandescent, as well).

Is there any direct replacement 623 and 1683 (BA15s base) bulbs that are LED and would handle both 12 and 24v systems? I've temporarily made a harness to my 12v pickup truck, but also want to be able to use it behind my HMMWV.

Texas TT

Grote makes LED military trailer tail lights that are both 12 & 24 volt. I run them on my expedition trailer setup. They are a bit pricey though.

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
I kept the mil plug on the trailer, swapped to led bulbs all around and installed the mil female plug into the bumper of my truck. That way I can still pull the trailer with a MV.

RustyM923

I kept the mil plug on the trailer, swapped to led bulbs all around and installed the mil female plug into the bumper of my truck. That way I can still pull the trailer with a MV.
I've done the same. All of the marker lights are LED and bright. The brake and parking lights (1683 and 623) are rather dim. Those are the ones that I'm looking for 12v/24v LED (Ba15s socket type) to replace them with. I don't want to be changing bulbs when swapping trucks.