• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1101 Trailer Backing and Brakes Locking

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I pulled the old one out and cleaned the grease off everything. The old one looks OK, it's not quite as stiff as the new one, but I put the new one in anyway.

I hooked up to the jeep and pulled it forward from its parking spot just a few feet and tried going backwards- brakes still locking in reverse. Repeated it a few times and it seems to be working. I drove it around to the driveway and backed it up the small incline towards the garage and it's rolling backwards ok. I'll pull the wheels off and take a look when I get back from Florida.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The surge brake shock is very deceptive.
How can something so small cost so much and look fine and not work?

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally had some sun so I pulled the left wheel and hubcap- looked too nice to do exploratory surgery so I decided to take it around town instead. Did some highway, back roads, pushed it backwards on pavement, backwards on gravel, backwards uphill- everything is working as it's supposed to.

So I'm calling it fixed with the swap of the damper.

Hub.jpg

Zed254

For brake fluid go with what the military TM calls for. Our discussion was about how the brake actuator worked. Mainsail was having problems backing his trailer so we took a look at the civilian manual.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks