• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1101 trailer recovery

colbanister

Won 2 M1101 trailers and plan to load on trailer to bring them home. can anyone tell me the dimensions from outside tire to outside tire? looking at diagram overall width is 85.6 and possibly 80.31 to the outside of the wheel well. My trailer is 83" wide on the inside.

DeadParrot

Just measured my 1101. It is 87.5" from side to side accounting for the small tie down loops at the top. I think the 85.6 is the outside of the box width not including the tie loops. I swapped the original tires for civilian trailer tires and rims so can't help with the sidewall to sidewall tire measurement.

wvu dodge

The track width is 72.5" according to the published specs. Thats the tread center/center. Add 12.5" for tire width outside center and thats 85". How many miles do you have to drive to find out of you can cram it in?

wvu dodge

What are you going to drag down there to haul them? Pretty much any deckover trailer will handle it, but an open car hauler with the fenders outside the deck is questionable. Those things range from 78" to 84" max. What was the trailer you originally intended on using...car hauler, enclosed, deckover? 16ft long will snag 2 of them, but they'll be overlapped and overhung on both ends.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just looked close at my M1101, and the outside of the tires were about 1/2" inside the trailer sides, so 85" is probably a good guess for the minimum deck width. I had 2 M105s on a 20 foot flatbed car hauler with the tongue of the rear one on the deck under the back of the front one. The M1101s are shorter than the M105s.

Last edited:

wvu dodge

Good luck with the transport, you will be fine with a deckover. But if you've got hard sides or rails less than 85", I'd be afraid of a wasted trip that ends with you coming home disappointed.

No disrespect, because I'm sure you are kicking yourself now and you don't need to hear it from me...but I'm going to say it anyways. Having some idea about how you were going to get them home probably should have crossed your mind before you got carried away in the auction. Maybe you only intended on buying 1, but ended up with 2...maybe you just said you'd figure it out later if you won....None of my business. Whatever the scenario, now you've got extra money involved, and the stress of it all with a 10 day clock counting down for you to drag your stuff off base.

At least you were able to find a suitable trailer to rent or borrow. Lesson learned.

wvu dodge

Let us know how it goes, and post up your plans for the trailers. And I'm not criticizing you, mainly just throwing it out there for somebody who might read this in the future. If thats the most expensive or challenging "lesson" you ever get, you are doing better than any of us. Its all what I call "uptown problems", and if you are able to afford this kinda stuff, thats all it really is.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks