• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1102 from Barstow to Sacramento. Logistic help!

nanlin

Thanks Chevimp63!! Looks like getting smaller wheels is the way to go.

Thanks Mainsail!! I thought about getting a custom riser. The max prefab is 12in right now,
I will need about 20 inches. Just concerned that it is too high to create large stress on the
bend if trailer jerks? Of course, I guess I can always bulk up the rise with bulky diagonal
support...

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Chevimp63!! Looks like getting smaller wheels is the way to go.

Thanks Mainsail!! I thought about getting a custom riser. The max prefab is 12in right now,
I will need about 20 inches. Just concerned that it is too high to create large stress on the
bend if trailer jerks? Of course, I guess I can always bulk up the rise with bulky diagonal
support...
Doing the math in my head, which is notoriously dangerous, it appears that you're saying your receiver is only 9" off the deck? That doesn't sound right.

I looked at wheel adapters and the 8-lug ones were outrageously expensive.

nanlin

Mailsail, your math is fine, but my brain cells weren't! From the base of my 2 inch receiver to
deck is 12 inches. The riser is 12 inches, but the base of the pintle-ball hitch rises only 8 inches, so my net increase is 20 inches from deck. The base of the M1102 lunette, at level, is 28 inches
from deck, so based on my incredible Mayan calculation, I am short 8 inches.

If I am hearing everyone right, then getting adapter is too expensive, and getting smaller
wheels is the way to go. Custom riser is possible but unknown cost and strength. I can
also get a beat up M1109 or fancy H1 Hummer, but both of which will need a good mechanic
who will charge me an arm and a leg for. I do want to maintain at "military look" too.

What to do...what to do... Leaning towards a custom riser if not too bulky and expensive...

nanlin

Swapped out all 1251 bulbs with Napa 67 and 97 bulbs today. Worked well. Don't know what the difference is between 67 and 97.

Made an adapter from 4 flat to mil 12 pin. Works.
White (ground) = D
Brown (tail/running) = E
Yellow (left) = B
Green (right) = J

Made a mistake when using a much smaller gauge jumper cable when testing between 2 plugs with their own existing wires. This resulted in heating up of the jumper cable as well as wrong light pattern. All good now.

Decided to go with smaller wheel/tire for level tow. Will see if I can get 4 off Craiglist. Anybody knows where to go get some reasonable new ones online? Wheels and tires? I figure I will get 4 for my two trailers. When one is on the go for long distance, I will take one wheel off the other for spare. The stock tires are about 31 inches. This will drop the trailer by 6 inches. So should be good for level tow.

Sanded the rust off but they came back nicely. Never a metal person but I guess I will need to learn how to do MV restoration. Primer you said?

Have join Expedition Portal. They got some cool ideas on how to make M1102 into a camper. I think I will convert one and use the other for daily chores or sell it.

Zipper is bad in one canopy. Will try to buy some parts/zipper/ glider/ stops online and bring it to luggage repair place here.

There is one big difference between the two M1102s that I have. One has a door handle like bar under the trailer, going between 2 of the 3 bottom lengthwise supports. Not sure what that is but about 8 inches long. A holder of some kind? Repair of some sort?Both have 3 repair tags.

Last edited:

harleyhouse

Most auto recycling yards should have the 16" 8 x 6.5 bolt pattern you need.
The newer GM wheels have a deeper back space than the older wheels.

I would try SUMMITRACING.COM they should have black soft 8 rims cheap too.
They could be painted to match the trailer.

nanlin

Sorry, have been hibernating...

I lowered one of the trailers with 8x6.5 wheel and Bridgestone V-Steel 245/75/16 tires. Since the height difference of the tires was about 7 inches, the end result was lowering the trailer by just about 3.5 inches. So sadly, with maximum riser on my Range Rover Sport, I still cannot tow this trailer level. Will need a tow vehicle for sure. Wish they can sell those M998s... Anyone have any experience with towing this with M1009s?

This photo, I believe, is the first side by side comparison on SS of before and after the change.
.M1102s height comparison.jpg

harleyhouse

Disassemble tha lunette fron the surge system.
Cut the ring off square in front of the pin.
Purchase an adjustable channel and lunette or ball mount
Have a professional welder weld the channel to the 1102 lunette mount leaving the most holes on the lower side.
Mount the new lunette or ball and tow.

Attachments

Holy cow, that was a tight fit! Thank you.

I won one out of Jefferson City, MO. I've submitted my paperwork (EUC) and waiting for the green light to go pick it up. Was considering getting setup to tow it home but I've got access to a rollback flatbed trailer with a winch, I think I'll haul it home and then go over it once it's in the shed.

3dAngus

Can these trailers be easily moved by hand on level concrete, as in a shed?
Yes they can, and if you have a bad back, put some weight in it back of the tires. That will make the tongue even lighter.
1000 pounds lighter then the M105 and about the same as a M101, but in my experience, easier to handle by yourself.
Results vary. Level concrete should be a breeze if the trailer is complete and in good shape.

hwcurtice

I got a 1500 lb wheel from a truck/trailer supply store. Bolted right on the A Frame. It might be more than it needs, but it also has a bigger wheel (8", I think) than the 4 or 5 inch they usually have on trailers. I didn't want something that would sink in the dirt too much and also needed something that could get to height to hitch up. AS it sits, I don't have to do any lifting in or out of the pintle with the wheel set up I have. Saves my back like you would not believe.

I really need to take a picture and share it with y'all....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks