• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1102 hubs super hot

billybronco1

Hey Folks.......Bear with me here, please......Did a search.....Found SOME details but not enough.

Both sides are too hot to touch after a 50 mile trek. Tried using a flat headed screw driver and rubber mallet. No dice. Not sure if I need to soak in PB Blaster for a while or what.

Like a brief synopsis on removal and how/how far to back off the nut so less friction is imparted on the hubs.

THANKS to all.........Cheers.

goldneagle

Those hub caps are hard to remove. A flat sharp screwdriver and hammer to pop them out. Once you see the crown nut remove the cotter pin and back off the nut a bit. It is over torqued. Reinsert cotter pin once set correctly. You can add grease to the hub before closing.

If you want more work then grease the bearings before reassembling.

The hardest part of the job was removing the hub caps.

86m1028

Is the break away engaged or released ?
There has been an issue with some of these, the bearings are set too tight.
Remove the bearing cap, cotter pin, loosen the axle nut & reinstall.
Repack bearings while your in there & you might make note of seal # while you have it apart.

EDIT: Looks like I'm slow at typing.

Last edited:

billybronco1

nice nice nice......thanks. I tried to pry/beat the **** thing off. I reckon i'll just have to lay into it. as far as brakes or bearings......I'll be ****ed if I know. The manual brakes are all the way disengaged. At least I THINK they are.........The break away. Huh.......That's a good question. That's the lever on the tongue with the cable that hooks to the tow vehicle, correct? I THINK it's in the rear position. (?)

Is packing the bearings a simple matter of donning some gloves and packing by hand or is there a zerk fitting? Also, will standard red grease do or do I need lithium? Thanks again FELLAS. Y'all rock.

KansasBobcat

To remove caps I placed a cold chisel at the seam and holding it horizontal to the ground gave it a hit with hammer. The caps popped off with no damage. A friend told me this trick...better than prying, etc

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I use a approximately 120' pry bar on the caps. Then channel locks for the but unless you have the correct axle but socket.

For Gods sake if you are going this far, just pull each hub and grease the bearings.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
120 degree.

You know, I have never said this to anyone that has a trailer but, this trailer might just be too advanced for you. You might want to just take it to a service station and let their grease monkey take care of it or ditch and get a civilian one.

billybronco1

I truly appreciate it. Seriously. However, I do believe the English language may be too advanced for you there Boss. Your grammatical errors are elementary. Especially the comma behind the word "but".

Not to mention your initial post which somewhat resembled that of a rambling retard. I think I have what I need here. Hopefully, a Mod will shut it down before this fat fingered Fuktard embarrasses herself again.

KsM715

Too late. You embarrassed your self with that last paragraph. Did nobody teach you to watch your language when in mixed company?

we don't do well with people that act that way in here

billybronco1

Haha. Sorry I offended y'all's fragile sensibilities. Didn't know we were in Bible School. Cursing is a fact of life and a fine method of exclamation.

Perhaps you should provide Grade III standardized testing so that fellow forum members can understand one another in the first place.

For Christ's Sakes. Yall need to chill the **** out.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Guess you shot yourself in the mouth (or fingers) on that one. Twernt that stoopid of ya.

Oh (comma) as you exit (comma) I enjoy knowing that I can perform the task as outlined in the technical manual for properly adjusting hubs and greasing bearings. Technical manuals are written on a 6th grade reading level. Obviously someone in this thread has the inability to read on the 6th grade level. Seriously doubt you will be around here long with an attitude like yours.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ooops, looks like someone is on holiday. Plenty of time to get those hubs pulled and figured out.

FloridaAKM

Well, we won't hear much from him for a while. I can't see why people get on a forum & want to show how smart they are; all the while, they are asking how to do something from the experts. Thanks Mods for the vacation from agrivation!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was me that gave him the time off. For those of you that know me know that I try to be fair but sometimes people just like to push the envelope.

What we've got here is failure to communicate.