• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1114 hard steering to left only

Coonass77

I have an m1114 (sn 230xxx) that exhibits hard steering to the left only. Steering to the right is fine. Anytime I try to steer left, it feels like there's no power steering at all. This happens throughout the entire range of the wheels turning from lock to lock. The truck steers perfectly fine when steering lock to lock towards the right.
The PS fluid level is good.
The PS fluid condition is good.
The PS filter is good.
I tried bleeding the PS system - there's no air bubbles, foaming, etc.
All steering linkages/components/ball joints/etc look good.
Nothing is loose.
No abnormal noises from the PS system or anywhere else.
When the front of the truck is jacked up and the front tires are not on the ground, it steers completely normal (both to the left and right), so it's only when the system gets loaded up that PS won't assist to the left.
Because I have normal steering to the right, I assume the PS pump is building pressure and is good. So am I safe to assume I have a bad steering gear? Or could there be something else I'm missing?
Assuming it is a bad steering gear, might it be worth the effort to rebuild it? I don't have any experience rebuilding them so I'm not sure the feasibility given the symptom...
As always, I appreciate any feedback and wisdom. Thanks!

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bummer, sounds like a valve failure in the steering box and I believe that is the box that is next to impossible to find so a rebuild would be the likely choice.
I would work with it some more to see if you can get that valve to unstick.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The valves are in the upper part of the housing where the shaft goes in, first I would work it to heat it up then I would take a small hammer and "tap" it while someone was trying to steer to the left just below where the hoses go in to try and free up the valve.

Coonass77

The valves are in the upper part of the housing where the shaft goes in, first I would work it to heat it up then I would take a small hammer and "tap" it while someone was trying to steer to the left just below where the hoses go in to try and free up the valve.
I've tried tapping it after it was warmed up, but not while someone was trying to steer it. I'll give that a try and report back. Thanks.