• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1114 project

Nutman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well bidding on some generators led me down the rabbit trail. After a wasted day of trying to prime the fuel system I realized that the injector pump needed to come out. I’ve decided that the whole fuel system needs a thorough overhaul. I guess 12 years of sitting in the wilderness turns everything nasty even with only 21 miles since the depot overhaul. Curious what other members experiences are with the m1114 Swiss cheese machine.

Attachments

Nutman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I should clarify that bidding on generators somehow got me to bid on this and start another project. And of course that went over like a lead balloon with my wife, but she finally agreed that I can keep it. Long term what is the best way to finish out a rig like this as far as a roof, doors etc? Delete the A/C?

BLK HMMWV

I should clarify that bidding on generators somehow got me to bid on this and start another project. And of course that went over like a lead balloon with my wife, but she finally agreed that I can keep it. Long term what is the best way to finish out a rig like this as far as a roof, doors etc? Delete the A/C?
Get through the registration hurdle in Calif before you sink another dollar into it.

Nutman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After having a local diesel shop rebuild my injection pump, I installed a new fuel tank, all new fuel hoses, new lift pump and with some help from a buddy the injector pump. After 30 seconds of cranking she started right up. So far I’ve put about 50 miles on it. A couple trips to Steve at Retired Warhorses to get a lot of the goodies I needed have set this project in the right direction. So far this project sure beats the usual farm projects. It may be a while before I post any further updates as cash has to be replenished and I will Lord willing be a father in 6 weeks!IMG_3992.jpegIMG_4789.jpegIMG_4014.jpegIMG_4013.jpeg

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
IMO... going thur the fuel system the way you did is piece of mind it for the next 20 years. Now one has the complete fuel system behind them and how it all works. Priceless. One reads here ALL the problems going on in this systems when quick fixed to get on the road. I get the little bit "fix that and then this" logic chasing problems. That works too, but nice to see new parts throughout. (y)(y)

Not cheap to do, but money in the tank & bank.

Do it once and done, CAMO

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
After having a local diesel shop rebuild my injection pump, I installed a new fuel tank, all new fuel hoses, new lift pump and with some help from a buddy the injector pump. After 30 seconds of cranking she started right up. So far I’ve put about 50 miles on it. A couple trips to Steve at Retired Warhorses to get a lot of the goodies I needed have set this project in the right direction. So far this project sure beats the usual farm projects. It may be a while before I post any further updates as cash has to be replenished and I will Lord willing be a father in 6 weeks!View attachment 915920View attachment 915921View attachment 915922View attachment 915923
And your sidekick in the second pic seems to be enjoying the ride!

Best wishes for your new arrival as well...

Nutman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks everyone, the gov planet guys cut thru the wiring going to the tail lights. I spent 2 hrs of frustration with my power probe and a couple jumpers, still no luck. It’s a lot easier to wire up tail lights on a trailer, I suspect the blackout lights are throwing me for a loop as well. I should probably consult some TM diagrams. All the lights work, I just can’t seem to get the right wires hooked up correctly. If anyone has some suggestions I’d be open to them. Also believe I popped the turn signal flasher.

Autonomy_Lost

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ict-rxm-32 does anyone know if these will work with the stock r 16.5 24 bolt hmmwv rims?
I'm no expert on tires, but I think the bead shape is different on military tires because they are designed to be used with runflats. I think most people that go with aftermarket tires also change their wheels to 17". Someone who knows more than me will likely chime in.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm no expert on tires, but I think the bead shape is different on military tires because they are designed to be used with runflats. I think most people that go with aftermarket tires also change their wheels to 17". Someone who knows more than me will likely chime in.
I am curious where you got that information?
AFAIK they are the same tires that were sold on the civilian market and there is no special designation on the tires themselves.
Common wisdom dictates the rims bead area is slightly different because of the run flats

Autonomy_Lost

I am curious where you got that information?
AFAIK they are the same tires that were sold on the civilian market and there is no special designation on the tires themselves.
Common wisdom dictates the rims bead area is slightly different because of the run flats
I've heard while reading these forums that the wheel itself has a different bead shape, since the runflats hold the bead on. This is why people say you shouldnt remove the runflats unless you use a PVC insert.

So I'm assuming the tire also has a different bead shape to mate with it. But again, this is an assumption and I dont actually know.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks