• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1123 A2 - Intermittent sound

MaverickH1

When driving the Humvee for a little while, there is the constant buzz sound that I assume is the Cadillac valve for the power steering or something.

Every now and then, that sound will go away and a loud rushing of air sound happens. It sounds like a lot of suction like a massive fan turns on, or somewhat like a deep pitched pressurized torch. It will get louder or quieter with RPM. At 1500 RPM it can barely be heard, at 3000 RPM it's very loud. When the noise stops (it usually lasts about 10 seconds) the power steering buzz comes back.

I want to make sure there's not something going terribly wrong within the engine/transmission/etc.

Is this normal? What the heck is it?

I assume that it's a cooling operation for something, but I can't get it to duplicate often enough with the hood up. It only seems to happen when the vehicle is warmed up.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want to reproduce it, unplug the TDM at the 2 prong connector
at the Cadillac valve solenoid,the fan defaults to engaged when unplugged.

TedG

If you want buzzing sound to go away, wrap the cad valve with belting material to isolate it from the tub.

MaverickH1

As far as the big sound, are you guys saying it is the main fan just behind the radiators? I've never seen that fan NOT turn. Or is there another fan set under the radiators?

If you want buzzing sound to go away, wrap the cad valve with belting material to isolate it from the tub.
I wrapped it with a cut-up motorcycle inner tube just now and I don't hear it anymore.

Action

With the hood up, and engine running, unplug the thing next to the washer bottle. You will hear the fan kick in. That should be the same noise you heard previously.

TedG

To be clear with what Action said, not the big plug that connects to the control box, but the little 2 conductor plug going to the black time delay module that is connected to the cadillac valve!

HUMVEE1

If you want to check the fan clutch without unplugging anything, just turn the steering wheel all the way to the left with the engine running. Fan comes on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks