• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1123 A2 Power Steering return line blowing off

mgieselman

My M1123 A2 power steering return line from the bottom port of the oil cooler has blown off twice now.

Somehow I think the low pressure side is getting pressurized.

Any pointers on where to start troubleshooting?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The return circuit does get pressurized by the Cadillac valve to turn the fan off, your clamps must be able to withstand at least 100 PSI
It is possible the Cadillac valve is creating too much back pressure also.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Because it is the same connection I would suspect an issue with that connection.
I would start by replacing that piece of line and clamps.

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agree with Mogman.

New line that is 2” longer. New clamps. Make sure you route the hose properly some nothing catches on it.

I suspect the inside of that hose has been ripped up from pulling off several times and the inner diameter is too wide. I also suspect this happened before so they cut the hose down and put it on with the same hose clamp. That means the line is probably short.

mgieselman

Thanks for all of the replies.

I’ll have new 3/8” 300psi Gates hose delivered tomorrow and will replace the existing hose.

The hose goes from the bottom barb to the low pressure side of the steering gearbox.

Answers to other questions:
1) I traced the hose and it’s not kinked anywhere.
2) Both ends of the hose had clamps on them and they were tight.
3) It didn’t appear that the steering linkage could pull off the hose.
4) Attaching some likely not helpful pictures.

I’ll post an update after I install the new hose and clamps, refill, bleed and test.

IMG_2924.jpeg
IMG_2922.jpeg
IMG_2927.jpeg
IMG_2925.jpeg
IMG_2923.jpeg

Dieselmeister

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the hose from the top barb going to the cadillac valve. Make sure it is clear. Disconnect the hose at the cadillac valve, and blow air through the cooler and the top hose. If that is clear, and your new hose blows off, then you know that the problem is either the cadillac valve, or the line from the valve back to the reservoir.

mgieselman

Check the hose from the top barb going to the cadillac valve. Make sure it is clear. Disconnect the hose at the cadillac valve, and blow air through the cooler and the top hose. If that is clear, and your new hose blows off, then you know that the problem is either the cadillac valve, or the line from the valve back to the reservoir.
The parts TM shows the top bard going to the steering box and bottom to the cadillac valve, my truck was plumbed opposite.

Assuming it doesn’t matter since the cooler isn’t directional.

IMG_0147.png

Dieselmeister

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The parts TM shows the top bard going to the steering box and bottom to the cadillac valve, my truck was plumbed opposite.

Assuming it doesn’t matter since the cooler isn’t directional.

View attachment 925709
Correct. It's nondirectional. I usually use the bottom as inlet, that way, any air will get pushed out easier, although at the flowrate I doubt it will matter.