• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1123 Holes

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We ask members to attach pictures, not use links.

MaverickH1

It still doesn't show all of the holes. There are holes literally everywhere. In the fender between the operator and passenger footwell behind the tires (the front tires will throw crap into the cabin), under the footwell, a few in the bed.

My M1123 had 11 patches (not including the fuel pump patch) that were covered up. It has probably 10 holes on each door area where the heavy duty armored door hinges went. It has huge nearly 1" holes on the top of the bedrail/wheel well area in the rear. It has holes below the tailgate. It had brackets hanging loose under the truck. It still has some MAK brackets secured under the truck. Mine was one of the completely stripped versions. I assume mine looked like this:

050702-m-0502e-008.jpg

The worst part is that these holes were all drilled out using a step drill bit. And the aluminum is thicker than each step and the work was clearly rushed when originally drilling the holes. So you're not dealing with nice, smooth holes. You're dealing with tapered/stepped/sharp holes of various diameters. In order to plug these, I'd have to get at least 3 different sizes of plugs. And I'd also have to buy drill bits to completely ream out the holes so they are smooth.

However... it does make it very easy to route wires around. :) I might patch them up someday by brazing them shut. Or Tig welding them (I'd have to buy a Tig welder). I might also use them as mounting points for accessories. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them.

But they are plentiful. They are noisier. And they let more water in than you want. And I haven't even had it on the road at speed yet!

Last edited:

Lionel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was just fooling around with mine and decided to use some short 1/2" aluminum bolts and washers I had. It plugs the holes, you don't have to re-drill or re-size and doesn't look bad either. Still need to touch up the flaked areas, but other than that, the holes almost disappear.1123 bolts.jpg

MaverickH1

^ that's a better way to handle it.

Looks like McMaster has aluminum ultra-wide flange bolts that would work perfectly and resist any galvanic corrosion... I think I'll have to pull the trigger on those.

Edited to add - ha. Nevermind, they are $6 EACH.

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Better yet, install the side armor that was once there....the basic FRAG 1 package for an M1151 is aluminum, does not add much weight, this way you end up with your holes covered and a cool looking truck.
dont even attempt to rig the holes closed, you will only end up warping the panels. I see far to often folks trying to TIG on these thin panels that are aircraft grade aluminum. The problem with it is the CARC paint and alodine, this highly contaminates the aluminum, thus in order to even attempt welding, the work area would need to be chemically stripped.

MaverickH1

That was my biggest concern with the aluminum. Brazing seemed the least intrusive, but I still hated the idea of something "permanent" and had concerns about material differences. I thought rubber plugs would be best just to avoid any corrosion and just seal it up for use later.

I'd considered making rocker panel protection that fit into the holes as well. The Frag 1 kit might be nice, but I'm scared to even see the cost attached to it. A quick search turned up Frag 1 doors for $15,000. /shriek

My intention with getting the M1123 was to keep it light for reliability and fuel economy purposes since my intent is to use it like any other truck on the road. At some point I'll have to look into changing brake proportion valves so the rear won't lock up so easily and fix the rear camber to be more suited to light loads being the norm.

Better yet, install the side armor that was once there....the basic FRAG 1 package for an M1151 is aluminum, does not add much weight, this way you end up with your holes covered and a cool looking truck.
dont even attempt to rig the holes closed, you will only end up warping the panels. I see far to often folks trying to TIG on these thin panels that are aircraft grade aluminum. The problem with it is the CARC paint and alodine, this highly contaminates the aluminum, thus in order to even attempt welding, the work area would need to be chemically stripped.

Lionel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RWH said "Better yet, install the side armor that was once there....the basic FRAG 1 package"

Love to, but where does one find it?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks