• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M114 Torsion Bar removal

blhar15

We have a M114 project we are working on and are trying to get the front torsion bars pulled out. These are proving to be very difficult and we cannot get them to move, even with heat. Just wondering if anyone else has experience with M114's?

Thanks

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you tell us what process you are using to pull the bars? Careful with heat on the bars, they are very specially heat treated.

teletech

I haven't worked on a M114 but from my reading heat on torsion bars is a very bad idea, be super careful with the exterior surface of the bars as well. The bars for the CVR(T) are wrapped in thick tape because any nick on the outside could cause failure. Tempered, then shot-peened, then bent past the point of yield, it's a process...

Can you get a really big ratchet-strap on them and use a come-along or winch?

dk8019

I found this which might be helpful, it comes from here, and there are pictures: http://www.m2hb.net/m2phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2284

Finally, we were able to get back on the restoration. When James pulled the arm out of the machine, the broken torsion bar was discovered. However, removing it was another task
With only part of the bar accessible, we welded a coupling on the end of the remaining shaft and fabricated a fixture to pull it out. We pulled all the road wheel hubs and drive hubs, removed the bearings and races. After a thorough cleaning, new bearings, races and seals were installed. Some seal components were not available, so we recreated the profiles with the help of computer aided design (CAD) then sent them out for water jet cutting.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks