• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1152 400 Amp Alternator

aslemmer

My M1152 has an issue with the giant 400 amp alternator rubbing on the wiring harness coming out of the firewall right behind it. Two wires have already had to be repaired as a result of this.

Is there any known fix for this issue? There is not enough clearance to guarantee the alternator will not rub in the future.

Thanks for any help.

Adam

Attachments

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
My M1152 has an issue with the giant 400 amp alternator rubbing on the wiring harness coming out of the firewall right behind it. Two wires have already had to be repaired as a result of this.

Is there any known fix for this issue? There is not enough clearance to guarantee the alternator will not rub in the future.

Thanks for any help.

Adam
Just what everyone needs. A 400 amp arc welded on a 150 HP engine.

Ahh, Just making sparks, CAMO

AAVP7

Also, a 400 A alternator robs a lot of engine power. Rough calculation: 400 A times 24 Volts divided by efficency of alternator (say: 0.8 ) = 12 kilowatt, or 17 horsepower !

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
That is sort of a special truck? If She were mine I would protect Her as built and use it.
Check over the whole bracket and mountings....

I to old to have one but already thinkin of ways to power my house with it.

Attachments

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, a 400 A alternator robs a lot of engine power. Rough calculation: 400 A times 24 Volts divided by efficency of alternator (say: 0.8 ) = 12 kilowatt, or 17 horsepower !
That should only be when it's actually producing power to that load.
The rest of the time it's just robbing the power needed to keep it spinning, plus a little more for the extra mass/electronics.
If nothing else though, you're going to go through belts a lot faster with it, especially if you like revving the motor.

AAVP7

That´s right. An electronic alternator will adapt the output power, and thus the power it needs as input. However, I recently learned from a Niehoff engineer that their alternators "like to have a minimum load". I think they quoted 25 % of max output, but that´s from memory.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks