• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1152/M1123 Startability

moparboy

Wracking my brain, here. We had the same issues years ago in the Corps. Cold snap at Lejeune would cause havoc with the hummers.

Finally, we narrowed it down for some of the vehicles, and it turned out the cold advance switch (right bank cylinder head/pass. side) wasn't cycling the glow plugs properly, and was burning them out because they would continue cycling after the engine had warmed up.

If anyone here has a different take on what happens, I'd like to read about it because my memory might be a little foggy! Most hummer startability issues we encountered were traced to the glow plug system, although occasionally one would puke an injection pump.

I saw someone posted about a "glow plug solenoid". Again, my memory is a little foggy however I remember there were two items on the intake manifold we had to replace, and I could swear one was that solenoid.

Input would be appreciated.

I have scars on my right hand from replacing the switch on the rt. bank cyl. head, glow plugs on that side, etc. The switch is all the way at the back, and is accessible after taking the doghouse off.