• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M116 all around trailer... Need a some ideas?

Silvrzuki77

Hey guys, been a member for a bit, usually a viewer. Anyways I bought a couple of m116A3 several years ago. Need a general heavy duty trailer for landscaping, junk, grabbing motors and axles at the pick a part.
Here she is.

Ideally I would love to have started with a m101a3 but I was late to the game for a good deal. Picked this one up for $220.

Just got finished plug welding the 16g steel on. Well actually my 6 year old did 80% of the welding. Thinking about doing a removable tail gate currently.

I have some ideas for adding a small harbor freight crane on a 2" receiver so I can move it around.

Also going to add ammo cans to each side to hold tie downs and a heavy duty tarp.

Any ideas you guys have that you wish you did or would be useful?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since you have the skill and tools, I would recommend a front tire carrier across the A frame to the front of the box or some have placed it underneath using a civy suv/pickup winch set up.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just did a similar thing but since it was temporary, I used wood. Mine also has a spare tire hoist under the front. It works great.

Etrack could be helpful. You could put some on the floor and sides to secure engines and such. If nothing else, recessed tie downs. My steel topper has provisions for 4 corner jacks. I can simply Jack it up and drive out from under it. Perhaps one day I will do removable sides.

Attachments

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Army of Darkness, NICE!

I used a bunch of E-track on mine. Also, might try modding the fenders a bit. My 116 doesn't have 48 inches between them, but there is room to do it. I have a new tailgate if you want to just add hinge pins.

Silvrzuki77

Tail gate is done! Removable for those rare times I might use it as a dump trailer. Still need latches and and chain.

Going to modify the inner fenders tomorrow to 49"-50" wide. Lots of holes in the bed that need to be welded up.

Any suggestion for primer and paint?

Silvrzuki77

Fenders fixed! Went from 46" to 50"! Pain in the butt, but well worth it!

So I have a temp setup for my tail gate chains.... Think I need to take a look at how the m101 tail gate setup works. I should have started with a m101!!! Lol

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks