• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M116 modifications for higher capacity?

Ratch

If I had an M116A3, with an axle and bearings that are rated much higher than the 2000lb limit, what would be some smart things to change to carry 3500lbs?

I'm thinking springs and shocks at least. The tires are rated for over 2000lbs each, so I'm not worried about those.

Ultimately, the deck dimensions will hold a Jeep CJ5. If the suspension can, then it'll be kinda cool to do. Necessary? Of course not, but how many of us are here out of necessity? :)

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have had a deuce motor in a can on my m116a3. 3150lbs is what is printed on the can. I had no issues pulling it through 3 states. The springs were not close to the bump stops at all. You shouldn't need to do much(if anything).

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Changing to modern gas charged shocks instead of the old school hydraulic relics will give a better stable ride with little sway but not increase the weight carrying capacity. Easy and cheap mod I did for my m101's.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks