• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1165 vs 1165A1 etc

rcamacho

I’m seriously considering picking up an 1165. Does anyone have a list of the modifications from the 1165 base to the A1 version?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Action

Without researching it, i would say a1 is 12,100# gvwr, different brakes, water cooled transfer case and rear diff, bigger cooling fan under radiator powered by geared fan drive and viscous clutch, 3piece frame rails, plastic master cylinder reservoir, serial number 300,000 and up. List not all inclusive.
Just replacing brake pads on the a1 is expensive. $700 + retail.
The exception to all this is the m1165 that has been relabeled as an a1 and shows 15,000+ as the gvwr.

DREDnot

wait till you lose a geared fan drive...they can be as much as an early hmmwv Went for at auction.
Besides the prohibitive costs, whats your opinion of the gear drive fan setup and is it an improvement over the serpentine style?

If I had to chose between the two, I would prefer the 114" serpentine setup my M1123 has.

Action

Besides the prohibitive costs, whats your opinion of the gear drive fan setup and is it an improvement over the serpentine style?

If I had to chose between the two, I would prefer the 114" serpentine setup my M1123 has.
The serpentine belt has nothing to do with the fan. One is hrydraulic and stuck to water pump. The other is temp controlled and gets driven from the crankshaft. Both have serpentine belts.

DREDnot

The serpentine belt has nothing to do with the fan. One is hrydraulic and stuck to water pump. The other is temp controlled and gets driven from the crankshaft. Both have serpentine belts.
I'm sorry....I thought it would be obvious I was talking about the method of driving the fan...direct off the crank, or belt driven on the water pump.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Action

LOL. Both are driven by the engine, just dufferent pulleys. There are no issues with the cadillac valve and other parts since they aren't there. I have the big fan. It would only come on a few times in SW FL in the summer driving. I also do not have defective systems that others may have that makes their fan come on more often. So a bit tricky to compare one to the other. Mine stays at 195, but then how accurate is the guage? lol.
With the fan just freewheeling, it will suck a piece of paper or cardboard to the top grill. It blows the air down out the bottom, not towards the motor,

DREDnot

I was really hoping to get Steve's opinion on the angle drive. I haven't had one come through the shop yet. Had a customer ask about retrofitting an angle drive fan setup. Told him I couldn't speak intelligently about its efficacy...just that they are very spendy

Action

He may give you a better answer. But it needs different fan shroud, both front crossmembers, gfd, fan, gfd drive shaft, new clutch, adapter on crankshaft, front radiator bracket, and maybe a few small items.
Obviously, it needs the extended nose.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was really hoping to get Steve's opinion on the angle drive. I haven't had one come through the shop yet. Had a customer ask about retrofitting an angle drive fan setup. Told him I couldn't speak intelligently about its efficacy...just that they are very spendy

The cost to convert to GFD is highly cost prohibitive And ultimately doesn’t pay big dividends.

Docjmrmd

LOL. Both are driven by the engine, just dufferent pulleys. There are no issues with the cadillac valve and other parts since they aren't there. I have the big fan. It would only come on a few times in SW FL in the summer driving. I also do not have defective systems that others may have that makes their fan come on more often. So a bit tricky to compare one to the other. Mine stays at 195, but then how accurate is the guage? lol.
With the fan just freewheeling, it will suck a piece of paper or cardboard to the top grill. It blows the air down out the bottom, not towards the motor,
Hi Action, I recently purchased an 1165A1. I have been adding back all of the demil deletes that were done prior to sell, minus the armor and weaponry of course. I thought I pretty much had the Deep Water Ford put back together until I came across the broken fan blade issues when hitting a water hole. Tried the "accelerator to the floor" to disengage the fan clutch, but did not work. Then I realized that I had no Cadillac valve. In reading your post, it appears that the 1165A1 does not have the Cadillac valve. Can you tell me how is the fan disengaged before fording? Does the Viscous Drive protect it?

Thanks!

Action

Hi Action, I recently purchased an 1165A1. I have been adding back all of the demil deletes that were done prior to sell, minus the armor and weaponry of course. I thought I pretty much had the Deep Water Ford put back together until I came across the broken fan blade issues when hitting a water hole. Tried the "accelerator to the floor" to disengage the fan clutch, but did not work. Then I realized that I had no Cadillac valve. In reading your post, it appears that the 1165A1 does not have the Cadillac valve. Can you tell me how is the fan disengaged before fording? Does the Viscous Drive protect it?

Thanks!
I didnt have an issue fording with mine. Dont enter the water when you hear the fan whining. The clutch is controlled by temperature at the clutch. When the fan kicks on, it lasts for less than 30 seconds. And dont enter the water doing 40 mph.

M1165A1

An M1165A1 with a serial number over 300000 is going to be a Reliability Enhanced Vehicle B aka REV B truck. Below is a chart listing some of the changes.

On balance the REV B are significantly desirable upgrades for the vehicle but come at premium in terms of up front cost and some more expensive parts needed down the road. Is it worth it? Only you can decide.

Docjmrmd

I didnt have an issue fording with mine. Dont enter the water when you hear the fan whining. The clutch is controlled by temperature at the clutch. When the fan kicks on, it lasts for less than 30 seconds. And dont enter the water doing 40 mph.
Did the 1165A1 not need the Cadillac solenoid?
Do I need to do anything prior to protect the fan blades prior to fording?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks