• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1165A1 needs steering box - which one?

dma251

I have an M1165A1 (I think it's a 2007) serial number 249812. Of course when I got it was missing some important parts, one of them being the steering box. I am aware that around this point the REV models got the Sheppard steering box, but I'm not sure if mine got that or not. Does anyone know how to determine what steering box it had?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
...... I am aware that around this point the REV models got the Sheppard steering box, but I'm not sure if mine got that or not.
NSN 2530-01-554-3441: Clearly, a Sheppard gear - according to your serial number...

1682079540223.png

Guyfang

Staff member
Also know, that below the Steering Gear, is the UOC. The UOC, Usable On Code, tells you what models can use that part. If you look up front in the TM, it explains what and how a UOC works, and then gives you a list, of what model truck has what UOC. Makes it easy.

spankybear

Is it possible to install the old style box (Saginaw or Delphi or what ever it's called) on an ECV? Why did they change the box?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it possible to install the old style box (Saginaw or Delphi or what ever it's called) on an ECV? Why did they change the box?
I don't know if they have the same bolt pattern, but if you changed out the box you'd also have to change out all of the steering linkage, as the two are different (so drag link, idler arm, pitman arm; possibly other parts)
The pictures of the two in the manual also appear to have different mounting bolt patterns, so if that's true that would make it a complete no-go from the start.

They changed the box because the heavy armored trucks variants were just too much weight for the old style box to handle.

rcamacho

Potentially however the frame bolt pattern is different. The frame would have to be reworked along with different steering linkage parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spankybear

Potentially however the frame bolt pattern is different. The frame would have to be reworked along with different steering linkage parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Or maybe an adapter plate... along with the linkages... I was just wondering.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks