• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1167 Tear down started. Hardtop removal.

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hatch assembly finally painted. Deciding on if I'm going to put back the armored plate. It weighs at least 75 pounds. That was the main issue in removing the hatch. Plus the plate is steel and hatch aluminum and it pitted the hatch.

Few more coats on the hardtop assembly too.

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The paint job came out great, very sharp, looks like new…is it lifted?

EDIT: the wheel wells look a little higher or maybe it’s just the picture angle
Thanks! Just the angle.. still have slant back rear seats floor mats and a few odds and ends to finish.

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks! Just the angle.. still have slant back rear seats floor mats and a few odds and ends to finish.
I felt so inspired by how great your truck came out that I ordered the CARC paint (which I have been delaying because it does have a limited shelf life) and I look forward to paint :) Thanks for sharing the great work!

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I felt so inspired by how great your truck came out that I ordered the CARC paint (which I have been delaying because it does have a limited shelf life) and I look forward to paint :) Thanks for sharing the great work!
Thanks! I painted my first car at 16, I'm now 47 and dont know how many trucks and cars I've painted. Key thing is wear a mask!

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks! I painted my first car at 16, I'm now 47 and dont know how many trucks and cars I've painted. Key thing is wear a mask!
So it's no accident that it turned out so good.
Did yours have the armor holes around the fenders and rockers? If it did, how did you fill those? (maybe used the same Bondo type filler or something different?)

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So it's no accident that it turned out so good.
Did yours have the armor holes around the fenders and rockers? If it did, how did you fill those? (maybe used the same Bondo type filler or something different?)
There's a few videos I've seen on YouTube of guys filling in holes on the armored parts for the rockers were at. If it was me I would look into trying to find replacement rocker skins and rivet them on. The smaller holes that are 1/4-in from this bolts are easy to fill with Bondo just make sure the metals clean so that it adheres to it.

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rear hatch installed. Refinishing armor plate and I will reinstall. Seats and rear installation installed also. Ordered doors from West Kentucky surplus. Hopefully he this week!
I typed too soon asking about the two side brackets/ blast shields on the cargo door, since they are not installed and presume you will re-install it with the top armor piece.
Are you planning to paint other parts of the body also?
Any pointers on how you mask the parts you don't to over-spray? Like steering, plastic dash piece, AC/ blower, etc. Or the interior and the bed are already painted?

Last edited:
Reactions: OBX

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I typed too soon asking about the two side brackets/ blast shields on the cargo door, since they are not installed and presume you will re-install it with the top armor piece.
Are you planning to paint other parts of the body also?
Any pointers on how you mask the parts you don't to over-spray? Like steering, plastic dash piece, AC/ blower, etc. Or the interior and the bed are already painted?
I painted everything while taken off the HMMWV. If your painting in place then rolls of plastic from Menards or any home improvement store are your bet. Along with rolls of blue painters tape.

I am going to leave all the top and slantback pieces 383 green for now. I am leaving the body original carc paint. I may match the camo, but for now I will have all new parts green. I like the contrast.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks