• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M116A2 camper

Barrman

Sam,
I have a spare 101 bed out in my pasture. I do not have a scale big enough to put it on. However, when I was moving it around, it was pretty easy to pick up a side at a time. I would guess 300-400 pounds. I did not have the tail gate on when I did that though.

I have my 101 loaded down with supplies right now. Taking the M1009 and pulling the M101 out to Camp Wood for a M715 gathering after lunch. I had the top on when I did a test drive. I could really feel the air drag above 50 mph and had to really mash it to maintain 65. I took the top off and didn't notice the trailer back there. I have a 260 mile drive each way, so since we have good weather the top is folded in the back of the M1009. I might just set my shade canopy over the trailer, enjoy being able to stand all the way up and not even put the top back on. Privacy is an issue though. I don't want Sermis, 40 grit and Kwai making fun of my tighty whities.

I know you want a ready to camp trailer at all times. If all you are doing is runs to SA or Temple in convoy with Dueces and such then it will be great because you won't get over 55. If you are looking at longer runs on your own, then you really might want to think about some way to keep the wind resistance down. Or just plan to keep it below 60. Any faster then transmission temps, engine temps, mileage and power will start to be problems.

Pawnshop

Yep, when I picked up my first M101 it had a cover on it and the drag was incredible! I was thinking I had made a serious mistake and that trailer was just too heavy for the M1009, or that my M1009 was not putting out the horses she should, either way I was disappointed. The second one came from Ft.Hood with no cover and it was a breeze, barely noticed she was there, physics in action:). I want to build a weekender for several reasons: I want it to be low enough that it runs in the M1009's slip stream to greatly reduce drag, I want it to be rigid (tarp tops are not much better than a tent in my opinion), and I want it to be water tight! I have lived through a severe thunderstorm in a tent, and by "severe" I mean that the lightning was so close I could feel the heat, and the only reasons the tent did not blow away or fail is that all our gear was inside with my 250# arse and it was a Kelty. Tents have their place, I do own several, and I still have an unmodified M101 with cover that I will use if I want to look "GI", but one of the main jobs this trailer will do is giving me a place to sleep on Christmas at my sister's house in Westpoint (60 miles away, and always COLD), and I always wanted one...