• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M116a2 Castle Nut

Heyjimi

I searched the form but could not find an answer to what I thought would have been asked already.
I just bought a M116a2 and needed to change out the bearings and was shocked to find there was not a Caslte nut. It was a nut with a cheap Caslte "cap" over it! :neutral:
Where can I find the right one I went to 4 auto parts stores and a couple of others part places with no luck?
What are the specs for the nut?
Thanks.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could make one. Use a hack saw to cut the sides - then file out the center groove. A junk yard comes to mind too. McMaster/Carr would probably beat the auto parts joints. Or try eTrailer.

Heyjimi

The issue with that is the nut is not thick enough...when it butts up against the bearing it is too far from the cotter pin hole. I guess that's why the cap was use to began with.
I do not know the thread size to be able buy or get a thicker nut to cut slots into it.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Section 4-43 of the TM shows both styles, and notes that "configurations may vary", while figure 12 and 12-1 in the parts illustrations only refers to the castle nut.

Heyjimi

Thanks 319 that helps me understand now that it was like that from the beginning and not that someone jacked it up.
So now just need to get a new retainer cap.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks