• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M116A2 Expedition Trailer Build

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I wasn't going to start this thread until I was a little farther along but I'm sitting in the parking lot of my Ortho, after breaking my kneecap, waiting for a ride so figured "why not?"

I'm starting with a MEP002A generator trailer and want to build something like a Turtleback Trailer or Patriot Trailer https://www.campertraileraustralia....s/1312/best-camper-trailers-patriot-x1-review
(Google them- awesome trailers). But in order to start I wanted to strip it down to bare bones and get it sandblasted.

pics actually loaded in reverse order but you get the idea. After the 1st pic (which should have been the last) I pressure washed it and was putting some magnetic lights on when I tripped and drove my right knee into the concrete driveway. I managed to get up, drive to the sandblaster, unhook the trailer, then drive to an Urgent Care all without being able to put any weight on my right leg.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think something looks wrong on that xray. Maybe get new Steelsoldiers member TOBASH to look at it, he fixes things like that. Hope it heals up. You and gravity, not friends . . .

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe a little epoxy to fill in the crack? I gotta stop trying to walk and chew gum at the same time.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I feel your pain
Did almost same thing last year, except in gravel, at a full run.
After that you could actually see my kneecap.
Yea it hurt.

I looked those trailers up.
Very cool.
Thinking about a build also so will be following yours.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a painful and expensive build so far! Hope it goes a little smoother in the future.

These M101 trailers make great off-road capable campers.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't made much progress with things since I've been on crutches the last 3 weeks. They have me in an immobilizing thigh to ankle brace. I'm hoping to get a flexible one on Thursday so I can at least start driving again. To literally add insult to injury, the sandblaster I was taking the trailer to when I broke my knee decided he didn't want to do a test blast like he said he would to give me an accurate estimate. He just said "oh, it's military paint so likely double my normal rate." Not getting my business.

I did did find a cool older comm shelter that I'm going to use for the main body. It's 72" long, 60" wide, and only 48" tall. That puts it, on the trailer, at just about the perfect height for a rooftop tent (RTT). I'll likely put a rack on it just to go up a couple of inches so when I mount a canopy it'll have 6' of clearance. Anyone taller than me will just have to duck.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...I did did find a cool older comm shelter that I'm going to use for the main body. It's 72" long, 60" wide, and only 48" tall. That puts it, on the trailer, at just about the perfect height for a rooftop tent (RTT). I'll likely put a rack on it just to go up a couple of inches so when I mount a canopy it'll have 6' of clearance. Anyone taller than me will just have to duck.
With that shelter, there is a lot of storage space in the void in front and behind of the wheel wells on both sides. You could mount panels like side tail gates that could be lowered to be used as a kitchen counter on one side with the stove, dutch ovens, other kitchen equipment stored in the spaces. A canopy over that side would also be really useful for the cook. The other side could be used to store fuel cans and less frequently used equipment and supplies. That side could also be used for access for the RTT if you didn't want to sleep in the comm shelter.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm planning on a Rhino Rack Foxwing canopy that will cover one side and the back of the trailer. No sleeping inside the shelter as that will have the water tank, water heater, some type of pull out kitchen, and storage for all the other paraphernalia.

I'm anxious to get started but need to get where I can at least hobble around unaided first.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well we picked the shelter up yesterday. I was not pleased with the condition and lack of mention of substantial rot in the outside panels but after 6 hours of driving to get it I felt obligated to myself to go through with the deal.

Thanks to M813rc for helping out and doing most of the driving.

We're getting a frog strangler rain storm at the moment so better pics will have to wait.

Attachments

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's a lot more rain for you today for sure!
We are getting it again tonight and tomorrow.

That is a lot of rot.
I wouldn't be happy either.

Guess its either that or forklift damage.

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Torrential rains and 70mph winds have passed over us, just heavy rain now. Other than a few branches down, doesn't like any damage here.

So...
Glad to help, and I enjoy the road trips. Thanks for feeding me! (I should have a sign like reloader64's "I work for food") :smile:

With my experience mostly being inside S-250/788/280's, I was surprised at just how small the shelter was. Ought to be great for your project though.

Attached are a few more pictures, including data plates for the interested. I always blank out the serial number if I don't have the owners permission to release it. Mark, you can share that it you choose.

The heavy alloy brackets at the lower four corners are interesting, I'm making a guess that they allowed the mounting of tubes to hold antenna sections?

Cheers

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks