• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M116A2 Expedition Trailer Build

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A few 4x8 sheets of 1/8" aluminum should fix the rot but getting the rivets out that are about 1" apart surrounding the entire perimeter will be a fun job. I can then lay the old panels on top of the new ones and match drill everything. It won't be terribly difficult to fix just time consuming and more money that I could have used elsewhere.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The monsoon from yesterday has moved through so I was able to open the shelter up for a better look at the floor. Given the condition of the sides I wasn't expecting much and got exactly what I was expecting. Several big rot spots so both the inner and outer floor sheets will need to be replaced. At this point I'm no longer concerned about how rare this might be as I'm basically going to be replacing most of it anyway.

The seller is apparently a member here but unfortunately I didn't get his username. It'd be nice to pass that along to others so they'd know what to expect if dealing with him. I certainly wouldn't have made a 12 hour roundtrip drive nor paid what I did if the condition had been stated. Of course it's my own fault for buying something sight unseen and not asking if it looked like swiss cheese.

Attachments

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have quite the project there.
Good thing your going to open it up.
Needs a week or so just to dry out.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I kinda think removing the skin is a can of worms you don't want to open. Suggest aluminum filled body filler in the holes, da sand it down, thick coat of Behr, call it good.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I kinda think removing the skin is a can of worms you don't want to open. Suggest aluminum filled body filler in the holes, da sand it down, thick coat of Behr, call it good.
With the number of holes I think the aluminum would be cheaper :).

Another Ahab

Is that your guess (and I admit it's likely a good guess), or are you speaking from the voice of experience about that?

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With that much water soaked inside everything, I personally wouldn't want to seal it up without drying it out first.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With that much water soaked inside everything, I personally wouldn't want to seal it up without drying it out first.
That's kind of my thought as well. Not sure if they would have put any kind of insulation in there during the '50s (which I'm guessing this is from - early '60s latest) but I'd like to clean it out good before I use it. Likely just replace the rivets with Clecos.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well the bright side of it is that you can rebuild it the way you want.
When you replace the panels and gut the old swampy insulation, you can spray some closed cell foam insulation in there.
Even run internal wiring, windows, etc.

If you have the patience, you will end up with a much better shelter than you could ever buy stock.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can't do a lot until I get out of the leg brace, including climbing into the back of the LMTV where most of my tooks are, but I did do a little bit of work on the door latch mechanism. I'm going to need to pull the entire thing apart to clean and lube it good but at least I've gotten started.

The interior of the shelter has several layers of paint. The biggest portion appears to be the normal Seafoam Green with white over it but the door has different colors. The top coat is white with a USMCish yellow under that and Strata Blue for the base. The white and yellow flake off fairly easily but the blue was either prepped better or the original paint.

Most of the interior door parts are brass and stainless so have held up well but are covered in liberal amounts of paint. I got enough off and some penetrating oil added to loosen the mechanism up.

IMG_5402.jpgIMG_5407.jpg

Another Ahab

Can't do a lot until I get out of the leg brace, including climbing into the back of the LMTV where most of my tooks are, but I did do a little bit of work on the door latch mechanism. I'm going to need to pull the entire thing apart to clean and lube it good but at least I've gotten started.
Please don't push it TOO hard, mkcoen. You know you don't want to set yourself back any. Work on good solid healing first, the projects can wait.

You've thought that through, right?!

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please don't push it TOO hard, mkcoen. You know you don't want to set yourself back any. Work on good solid healing first, the projects can wait.

You've thought that through, right?!
I started PT on Tuesday so getting exercise IS part of the healing.

I still think you should name that shelter Joseph.... :)
Maybe but I'd like to get it down to a coat of single color.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry to see the condition is not as expected. I'm doing a similar project but started with a bent up M1101 and S788 Geithner. Please post info on the roof tent. I'm making sleeping inside for bad weather and top sleeping otherwise.

Attachments

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry to see the condition is not as expected. I'm doing a similar project but started with a bent up M1101 and S788 Geithner. Please post info on the roof tent. I'm making sleeping inside for bad weather and top sleeping otherwise.
RTT is probably the last step (and purchase due to price). I'm leaning toward a Gordigear but might have to settle for a SmittyBilt just because of price.

A power washer will help remove paint for sure.

Those things are great!
I've got one but have been hesitant to use it because I don't want to get the brace soaked. I might just wrap it in a garbage bag though just to finish it off. The interior is the only thing thats peeling. The outside is holding up pretty good.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see the Gordigear is well over $1k, how much is a base Smittybuilt?

Landbarger

Your project is looking good!

I wish the M116s came with more space between the wheel wells so that S-250s (and sheets of plywood) could fit between them. Why they didn't improve this by the time the A2/A3 beds came out is beyond me.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you thought about fold down bunk, for times you don't want to set up but want a rest? Or in real bad weather? Maybe across the far end?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you thought about fold down bunk, for times you don't want to set up but want a rest? Or in real bad weather? Maybe across the far end?
This one is only about 56" wide on the inside and 66" long inside. With the water tank and hot water heater taking up a lot of interior space sleeping inside is not an option. Besides, to me camping is still an outdoor sport. I'll use a tent to keep the bugs or rain off but still want to feel I'm not sleeping in a tin can.

The Gordigear tent I was looking at is about $1400 and the Smittybilt was around $900. I'm going to pass on some of the upper end RTTs that range between $2500-$4500 :shock:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks