• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M116A2E1 Trailer Lights and rear support

rufingit

First, hello to all. I'm new to the MV community. Just acquired a Marine M116A2E1 3/4 ton trailer from Ft Hood Texas. Anyway, I realize the trailer is wired for 24 volts and that I will need to set it up for 12 volts if I'm going to be towing it behind a Civ truck. I would like to retain the original military plug so I'm hoping someone can give me a easy way of going to 12 volt lighting without removing the entire plug. Any plug wiring diagrams out there? Appreciate any assistance.

Rufingit

KsM715

Are you trying to keep the military plug that plugs into the back of a MV or just want to keep the original wiring and put a civy end on it?

Its pretty easy to wire in a 4flat connector at the junction box on the tongue of the trailer and change out the 24v bulbs for 12v ones.

Attachments

rufingit

KsM715. The diagrams you showed are perfect. I want to try the keep all of the wiring harness and connectors in their original state. Based on the schematic I should be able to simply disconnect the affected 24 volt wires in the box and replace them with a small separate harness that I can run along the existing harness. That and some 12 volt bulbs aught to do the trick. Thanks again. :p

mikeprince

I disconnected the plug that runs to the towing vehicle at the junction box/cover on the trailer a-frame. Simply disconnect the M-connectors.

I've purchased some male M-connectors and a standard 4 pin trailer wire. I've also swapped out the 24v for some 12v bulbs.

The entire cost of this conversion was about $30 and completely reversible.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Good point. The LEDs would run the range. I seem to recall an old thread from the old website to do a MILSTD trailer receptacle on one end and civi plug on the other. Should be fairly easy to have wired up.

That way it reduces the danger of pulling of a wire plug that might happen from pulling the pigtail harness out.

Last edited:

Pawnshop

The M116A2E1 is the one ton version of the M116A2. It should have a heavier frame and more leaves on the springs. It DOES weigh more and sit higher than a standard M116A2/M101A2, at least mine does...

Put military LED composite lights on it and make a plug adapter and you are good to go!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks