• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M116A3 surge brakes on a M105a2

RWG421

I have a M116A3 surge brake assembly and I was wondering if i could mount it on my 105A2 .

I was going to pick up the hydraulics just aft of the 105's master cylinder.

My concern is that the hydraulic proportioning is going to be off by merging the two systems.

3dAngus

That would be interesting. Not sure how you would mount it properly, but if bypassing the air assembly, and properly mounted, it might be worth a try. If you confidence was sufficient you could replace the entire piintle assy, I would just hook it up to the brake lines with a "tee" and push it by hand to see what kind of brake shoe compression you could get. If it compressed sufficiently, then I would consider the mounting difficulties.

RWG421

I have a couple ideas for the pintle mount portion (Cut off and re-fab) basically. Although that pintle is for a 1 ton, and I wounder how it will fare on 1 1/2+ ton load.

My main concern is for the whole fluid dynamics issue

3dAngus

I gotcha about the fluid dynamics. That's why I say, test first before the mounting. With the tire off and wheel hub, you can observe the brakes in action after you tap in the surge brakes with the lines and a tee adapter. You will be able to physically see how much movement you get on the brake shoe and whether or not you get good contact. You will definitely need a full bottle or two of brake fluid, and need to bleed them, but those surge brakes can be worked by hand if in good condition and it should tell you everything you need to know. If I had welding skills, this is something I would have already done.

The size of the brakes will determine stopping power for the most part, provided the fluids are sufficient to force the brakes to close. My money is on the fact that they will. Good luck, and keep us posted. Perhaps someone has done it before and will enlighten us further. It sounds like a fantastic project and I for one, would love to know, so I'm sure there are tons of others too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks