• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M116A3 Trailer, HMMWV Command Shelter & Rooftop Tent camper build…

moe1234

M116A3 Trailer Prep part 4 painted the TRL deck

This past weekend I painted the trailer deck to make it blend and make it easier to paintthe trailer after I get the command box mounted and you can see my supervisorhanging out under the trailer while I was doing all the work….

Attachments

RjSteed

Well, at least the paint worked... I was wondering since it had sat around so long...

Looking good so far...

We need to work on your spray painting skills though... :grin:

If you wanted to spend more time with the painting of it that is....

moe1234

M116A3 Trailer Prep part 5 Surge Brakes Problems

Well I wanted to do a PMCS on the surge brakes before I mount the command box. Been hearing some banging while pull the trailer and did not give it much thought due to the landing leg. While I was wrong….

First you can move the lunette back and forth a bit and master cylinder was empty and rusty.

So for the **** of it…. Filled up the master and tried to bleed the system… oh yea a NO GO at this station lol, but what the ****.

Pulled off the master, cleaned and did a bench test to find out the valve was taken in air when you worked the plunger.

Found a new 10614 hydro-act actuator master cylinder for $102.95

https://www.crofttrailer.com/10614-hydro-act-actuator-master-cylinder/#page=page-1

they also have a marine version to for $130.95 and not sure which I’m going to get.

Also have a parking brake line rubbing against the tire I need to fix as well.

Attachments

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I wanted to do a PMCS on the surge brakes before I mount the command box. Been hearing some banging while pull the trailer and did not give it much thought due to the landing leg. While I was wrong….

First you can move the lunette back and forth a bit and master cylinder was empty and rusty.

So for the **** of it…. Filled up the master and tried to bleed the system… oh yea a NO GO at this station lol, but what the ****.

Pulled off the master, cleaned and did a bench test to find out the valve was taken in air when you worked the plunger.

Found a new 10614 hydro-act actuator master cylinder for $102.95

https://www.crofttrailer.com/10614-hydro-act-actuator-master-cylinder/#page=page-1

they also have a marine version to for $130.95 and not sure which I’m going to get.

Also have a parking brake line rubbing against the tire I need to fix as well.
I would have checked brake fluid and brakes first day.
Hopefully you already checked the wheel bearings/races.

With your master cylinder looking like that, you will need to replace the wheel brake cylinders.
Don't forget to clean the line out also.

Once you have it all done, the surge brakes are great!

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
The same master cylinder is used in other applications so you can find them cheaper than $100 if you shop around. I can't recall the part number off hand but there is a post about it here on the forum.

moe1234

I would have checked brake fluid and brakes first day.
Hopefully you already checked the wheel bearings/races.

With your master cylinder looking like that, you will need to replace the wheel brake cylinders.
Don't forget to clean the line out also.

Once you have it all done, the surge brakes are great!
yea hindsight is a mother.... I got 2 of M116A3 gen trailers about 3 years ago for future builds or parts.... definitely will check the brake cylinders on all my trailers

Attachments

moe1234

M116A3 Trailer test mount of command box

Been busy with other project (bathroom remodel) , but got around to try and mount the command box to get a feel for it and boy did she turn out it be a monster…… lol so I took it back off, going to remove thegenerator rails off and try 1 inch spacers. That will lower the command boxabout a 1 ½ inch. Then change out the tires to 31's. Hopefully it will be low enough to use the pull out side tables…

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks