• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M116a3 trailers

maxtor

Our 16ft. car trailer is a tilt bed. If you look at the front, I have a mount for our winch. My plan is to back the first M116 up to our trailer, then use the winch to put it on and secure it to the front of our car trailer. I can run it forward until it runs up against the winch mount. Then secure the tilt bed level. Then place two car ramps at the back of our car trailer and winch the second M116 up the fenders of the first m116. I will take two car ramps to get the second m116 up to the first m116's fenders. Then take the third m116 and winch it up front first until the wheels are securely on our flat bed trailer. Tie everything down, and hope for the best. I have ratchet straps, chains, come-alongs, etc.

http://s283.photobucket.com/user/Maxtor427/library/Trailers?sort=3&page=1

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you back the first trailer on and run the tires right up against that stop beam then you can just sit the pintle right down on the deck. The second one will back right over the first one in a similar fashion. 3 will fit easily this way.

maxtor

Thanks guys. I think it will all work out fine. My date to pick up our trailers is April 29th. If any of you are at the Barstow "Yermo" base on this day, please look us up.

maxtor

Any contact info for this company?
Yes,,

Hook and Book
760-252-9000

My plans have changed. We will have Hook and Book take our trailers off the Military base to their yard. We have a long trip back home, 600 miles, so by not having go on the Military base, it will save us about two hours. Plus Hook and Book will load our trailers onto our flatbed trailer with their forklift and or crane. I won't have to worry about winching the M116 trailers up on our flatbed. They will pick up our 5 trailers on the 23rd and we will pick them up on the 29th.

maxtor

Here, we can't do that. All three of mine will fit on our 16ft. flatbed trailer. My friend will pull one of his and have the other put on top of the first one. I have a friend in Nevada, who can pull a 5th wheel behind his pickup, and also pull his Jeep behind his 5th wheel. Not allowed in Kalifornia. I would hate to make a turn in town, or try to back up while pulling a 5th wheel and a Jeep. His rig is 65 ft. long, pulling both.

jesusgatos

No triples in Ca, but you can pull doubles with an endorsement on your license. The first trailer has to be a 5th wheel though.

Picked up four trailers today. They all fit on a 20ft trailer with a couple feet to spare. 116's pack tighter tongue-up than tongue-down. Plan on about 5ft between trailer axles, tongue-up, packed tight.

IMG_20140424_160041_998.jpg

Last edited:

maxtor

Thanks for the picture. I am glad it worked for you. It will be a long but fun trip for us.
We have plenty of 50's CD's to keep us going. :razz:

jesusgatos

Pulled the first two up and into position by myself, with a come-along. Couple of really nice guys helped me push the second two trailers onto the trailer. Just bought that car trailer and haven't had a chance to install a winch yet. Was really not too bad though, even by myself.