• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M119A1 parts manual, active duty only?

Rattlehead

I have the paper service manual for the M119 semitrailer (thanks Kenny), but it does not have any parts lists. There is one on the LOGSA site, but it kept giving me an error when I tried to download it. I emailed the help desk and got this response.

Sir,

The manual is not restricted. You must have at least a '.gov' or a '.mil' email address and a valid security clearance/background check to gain access to LIW.

I asked an ex-coworker who is retired military if he could access it, and he said it appears only active duty can access it. He doesn't have a LIV password, and to get one you have to provide a supervisor's name/email to verify that he should have access.

Not sure why this manual is blocked this way, as it is just a 1968 single axle van box semitrailer (pic in my avatar). Does anyone have this manual or access to it? It is 9-2330-210-14&P.

jasonjc

I just look at logsa that TM is list as a code "B". Not shure what code "B" is but we can only download code "A" TM's:cry: The funny thing is I just check the M35A2's TM's the newer -361 all are code"A" but the dash 10 it's code "C" It makes no sence at all. Maybe able to FOIA it. Seems they need to update the codes on alot of this stuff?!?!?!

JDToumanian

Isn't an M118 trailer basically the same as an m146 without the box? I have the M146 manual but the one for the M118, TM 9-2330-210-14&P, is still code B so it can't be downloaded.

...Maybe someone could PM it to me..... ;-)

Regards,
Jon

stb64

a M118 is basically a M119 without a box. The M146 is totally different, as it does not have a frame. the M146 also has a quick-disconnect axle and landing gear, and the rear doors are much smaller.

papercu

FWIW Maybe asking a active duty to PM you instead of asking them to download any restricted manuals for you on a public forum would be better?
Congress has just renewed the Patriot Act. So there is no telling who is listening and who's name will end up on a list somewhere. Wayne

JDToumanian

Certainly it's prudent to be careful, but it's been getting PMed around plenty here. I have zero respect for a law that allows me to own a trailer but not it's owner's manual. The Patriot Act is the exact opposite of Patriotic. I wish someone really were listening, I could give them an ear full.

JDToumanian

The M146 is totally different, as it does not have a frame. the M146 also has a quick-disconnect axle and landing gear, and the rear doors are much smaller.
Thanks for the info... I wasn't sure what you meant by quick disconnect axle, but I looked in the manual and saw it. (I haven't taken delivery of the trailer yet, waiting on EUC) Very interesting design, I assume they did it that way to reduce weight?

Jon

stb64

with the axle and landing gear removed, the box can be set on the ground, turning it into a small building, but the main reason for the design is probably to be able to reduce the shipping cubage when the trailer is to be loaded on ships, with axle and landing gear stored inside the box.
the design makes the trailer lightweight, but the door openings had to be kept small, making it impossible to load a jeep into it.

papercu

I have zero respect for a law that allows me to own a trailer but not it's owner's manual.
But it doesn't say you are not allow to own a copy. The DOD website just said you are just not allowed to download a copy from them.
Don't know why a trailer like yours is listed that way but could be anything from a mistake to they just used a copyrighted picture in it.
Do you know if there is a commercial made trailer like yours?
In most cases of restricted manuals it is because of some copyright that belongs to the rights owner.
If you've priced any OEM repair manuals, you can see where they wouldn't want cheap CD copies floating around. IMO
Good luck. Wayne

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks