• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M123 up close

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have seen pics of the 123, but I don't remember seeing one in real life. Maybe once at BTP, I can't remember. My son and I were talking about them one day last week for some reason, don't remember why...CRS has fully engaged! He volunteers time at the American Military Museum in Rosemead...just down the road from us...tankland is his name here. I went to pick him up this afternoon, and Craig says, "Go check out the Mack". I have no clue what he's talking about. I think he sensed this and says..."the 10 ton?" OH, now I get ya! I wandered over to it, MAN, it is HUGE :shock: ! The fender is as high off the ground as I am tall. I climb up on it and check out the power plant...SWEET, a Cummins, my cup o tea. I told him we need to fire it up. He said it runs, he used it a few years ago, but it has been in hibernation since he used it to pull a tank into the yard. One of these days, when I stop offering to do things for the masses, I WILL go to the Museum and put in some time there. I know he wants some help getting some of the iron running that is sitting there, I just gotta make the time. Sorry, no pics, I wasn't planning on seeing this machine...well, I did have a cel with a camera, but i'm not used to it yet, sorry, wasn't thinking. I'm only rambling anyway. :lol:

beaubeau

WillWadner, In the Members ride forum under Pics of V.N., on Jan 17, I posted several pics of M123 10 ton tractors I drove while in V.N..One pics shows a 10ton parked beside a 5ton tractor. One pic shows my friend standing to the left fron of a 10 ton trac. and he is 6"2" and the fender is about shoulder height on him. They were much fun driving and shifting was a great exp. If U can shift a 10 ton{which is about the same trans as a Mack 5speed from the 70s], U can shift anything!

acetomatoco

The running gear is all Mack, even the ones with the Cummins put together in CT by ConDec. Mack later converted some LeRoi gassers to Cummins. Contrary to some opinions, the Cummins was not a 904 even though it looked like it. It is a 785 V8 of 300 HP with lower max torque than the LeRoi gasser. For a good writeup and many pix, see DD's book STANDARD CATALOG OF US MILITARY VEHICLES pp 223 thru 229. Copyright David Doyle and Krause Publications

joec

Not to start a arguement but the ones we had a 903 cummins. And they did have all Mack drive train. We use to take the engine out to change the clutch. Theses were no converts. They were actuall Cummins engines. Bucyrus Erie used them in all there track Hoes. From the 350 H and up 55ton machine. Which were given a single turbo. Then the 913 was born.

They were 300 hp . Most were built for construction/marine. But found themself getting installed in the 10Tons.
And i had a couple of them apart doing inframes. Not fun, So we would just take the engine out easier to do. The last three I worked on in the early 90's we just put new engines in.

jatonka

All these years I have been under the misguided opinion that the M123A1C and M123E2 were powered by the Cummins V8-300. 785 cubic inches. 300 horsepower. no load governed speed 3000-3300. These are not 903 Cummins engines, try ordering parts , it will become clear instantly. Incidently, the axle ratio is 10.11 : 1 on the diesel. The axle ratio is 9.02 :1 on the LeRoi 844 CI gas engine model. As found in TM9-2320-206-20 Oct 1971

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks