• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M123E2 recovery trip

dmetalmiki

WOW..A MAZIN!..well done..watt pics..WATT A VIDEO..(yep that same lump came again)..god watt a project and recovery....so NOW I shake head in wonder and thus stimulated..(drags feet!) head down...creeps back to my "shed" to work on MY five!! (err..5 trucks not 5ton! tho one iz!)..GOOD LUCK IN ALL U DO....A W S O M E !!

AMGeneral

The total numbers for the trip are as follows,580 miles traveled,144 gal of fuel burned,and 12 hrs total travel time(not including working to get the 10 ton ready).M816 got approx 4mpg, total weight of 58,850 lbs and a average speed of 48.3 mph.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man, your average speed is probably 10mph faster than the M123 ever went in its life! That's a lotta fuel burned to move that beast. But it sure would be neat to see a fully restored M123, with a flatbed hauling a GOER truck!

123mack

I'm finishing up a M123 restoration. The main problem right now is the carb,when I screw the idle screw in all the way, the engine still runs. I tore it down,cleaned it and installed a kit - no luck. As a little background this truck uses an intank pump like the M211. Both pumps were trashed, so I got two 24v in line pumps from NAPA an installed a fuel reg on the firewall and it is set to deliver 3.5 psi. Also the governor is inoperable. (the cable whic connects the diaphragm to the slave unit is broken).

AMGeneral

Thanks for the offer 123,already have 2 complete davits and pins.A note on your earlier post,you might want to ck your idle screw seat for distortion,it may be letting gas slip by.Thanks again.Quick question,I know the 123E2s are rebuilt gassers,any way of telling the truck's origanal manuf date?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Quick question,I know the 123E2s are rebuilt gassers,any way of telling the truck's origanal manuf date?
When Robert Miller and I were under it, I saw a date code cast into the backside of the passenger front axle tube. I believe it said 1955.

123mack

The serial number is located on the right front frame, above the axle. The mack museum can tell you when it was made. Mine is # M123-1203. It came off the line on June 28,1956. they were able to provide me with a copy of a ledger book page showing it was delivered to the Army at Philly. What do you plan to do about your wiring harness? I used one for a 5 ton gasser and lengthened the wires where necessary. Works fine. What I need for the rear is a harness for m818 tractor so I'll have turn signals. Any Ideas where to find one? I guess my other issue is the governor and what to do about it.

AMGeneral

Got some more info on the 123E2 from the Mack Trucks Historical museum in Allentown,PA today.Turns out that the 123E2 left the factory on March 11 1956(roughly 1 year after production began),so it's one of the original 392 trucks built between 1955 and 1957.

My truck serial # is M123E2-1119,I assume the "E2" was added by Mack during rebuild in 1969 to indicate a Diesel engine upgrade.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
AMGeneral said:
Got some more info on the 123E2 from the Mack Trucks Historical museum in Allentown,PA today.Turns out that the 123E2 left the factory on March 11 1956(roughly 1 year after production began),so it's one of the original 392 trucks built between 1955 and 1957.

My truck serial # is M123E2-1119,I assume the "E2" was added by Mack during rebuild in 1969 to indicate a Diesel engine upgrade.
Did this 392-truck lot include the cargo version, the M125, like Bruce Kubu used to have? Or is this only the tractor versions?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Have you noticed the date code on the backside of the front axle, on the right tube?