• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M125 Wrecker has a new home!!!

M1075

RE: Re: RE: M125 Wrecker has a new home!!!

Why would you paint 3 color NATO? Were the 10 tons still in use when that came out?

houdel

M1075 said:
Why would you paint 3 color NATO? Were the 10 tons still in use when that came out?
I like the three color camo paint job, it is more "serious official military" looking to me and will match my puny little Deuce's paint job. Besides, there was never a M125 series based wrecker anyhow, so I guess since I have a "quasi-official" truck any "quasi-official" paint scheme would work. But then again, semi gloss OD Green with white decal markings would be more period specific and a lot easier to do. Hmmm, you have me thinking....

joec said:
Yes new color and "SUPER SINGLES" IT WILL BE WILD..!!!!!
If only I could find a set of 20" rims to fit it, 16:00-20 super singles would be SOOO bad. I'd need M1075's approval though, I don't think the 10 tons still in use when 16:00-20 super singles came out....(an attempt at humor, M1075!).

madsam

I had to get a weigh slip for my 816 so I can get it registered. I am missing a lot of equipment and had some stuff off it. I felt bad at 31,500 because I have to pay by weight. But 40k.. Nice looking truck.

houdel

Re: RE: Re: RE: M125 Wrecker has a new home!!!

madsam said:
I had to get a weigh slip for my 816 so I can get it registered. I am missing a lot of equipment and had some stuff off it. I felt bad at 31,500 because I have to pay by weight. But 40k.. Nice looking truck.
Thanks for the compliment! I am going with a historical plate ($35 for 5 years) and historical insurance ($300/yr including collision and comprehensive coverage).

If I went commercial, I would have to go with an "elected gross vehicle weight" (the weight of the vehicle plus the weight of the cargo and/or towed load). For my truck alone with an EGVW of 42,000 lbs the plate would cost $874.00 per year. If I were to go with a EGVW of 80,000 lbs (assuming I were to tow a truck about the weight of mine) the plate would cost $1660.00 per year. Wrecker insurance would run about $1000 per MONTH!

joec

Re: RE: Re: RE: M125 Wrecker has a new home!!!

houdel said:
madsam said:
Thanks for the compliment! I am going with a historical plate ($35 for 5 years) and historical insurance ($300/yr including collision and comprehensive coverage).

If I went commercial, I would have to go with an "elected gross vehicle weight" (the weight of the vehicle plus the weight of the cargo and/or towed load). For my truck alone with an EGVW of 42,000 lbs the plate would cost $874.00 per year. If I were to go with a EGVW of 80,000 lbs (assuming I were to tow a truck about the weight of mine) the plate would cost $1660.00 per year. Wrecker insurance would run about $1000 per MONTH!

Thats about right insuance wise for commercial.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For the purists- The M123 pattern is on pages 150/151 of TB 43-0209, so the 3-colour camo scheme would technically be "period correct" for this vehicle, yes? Should look great.

madsam

I do not have the choice to go historical on the plate, so I have to go with weight. Insurance is good that way though. It looks like about 350/year registration.. Ouch.

Crash_AF

You can get Collector's Item plates on your wrecker. See CRS 42-12-102

(c) The annual registration fee for a truck or truck tractor that has an empty weight of six thousand one pounds or more or a declared gross vehicle weight of sixteen thousand one pounds or more and is a collectors' item, shall be sixty-five dollars if such vehicle is used exclusively for noncommercial transportation and only used to drive:

(I) To and from assemblies, conventions, or other meetings where such vehicles and their ownership are the primary interest;

(II) For special occasions, demonstrations, and parades and on occasions when their operation on the streets and highways will not constitute a traffic hazard; or

(III) Traveling to and from and while on local, state, or national tours held primarily for the exhibition and enjoyment of such vehicles by their owners.

(d) For purposes of paragraph (c) of this subsection (1), "noncommercial transportation" means a truck or truck tractor used exclusively for private transportation of passengers or cargo for purposes unrelated in any way to a business or commercial enterprise.

Drop me a PM if you need more info.

Later,
Joe

houdel

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: M125 Wrecker has a new home!!!

DanMartin said:
Pics pics pics!!! I wanna see under the hood, under the frame...all of it!
C'mon man...you're killing us.
I'm working at it - single Dad, three pre-teen sons all very active in Cub and Boy Scouts, currently constructing a 32' x 64' x 14' garage to house my vehicles and give me a place to work - there just ain't enough hours in the day to get everything done! Already had to make one construction revision - change one of my 10'w x 12'h doors to 12' x 12' so I can get Da Beast in there!

My Insurance Agent is a real car nut, he wanted a picture of the engine. When I opened the hood, he about wet his pants! I'll get some engine pics posted in a couple of days, if the snow continues to hold off. Got to run and get wood for forms tomorrow though!

I did pick up some USB adapters today so at least I was finally able to download the pics of when Da Beast arrived - didn't have a memory card in my camera at the time and couldn't find the cable that came with the camera, so here they are.

Attachments

scooter01922

The more pics i see the more i like thar truck. Getting a nice early start on your workshop i see. Thats a super tractor you have there. Just the right size , small enough to use around the house but large enough to get a lot done when you need to.

Rattlehead

That is a beautiful and unique behemoth! I hope you don't wait until you repaint it before you show it, as we might have to wait another year to see it in person! That would be a nice addition to the military truck convoy descending on the local pizza parlor during the Clare show. I still remember Josh's (I think?) deuce parked RIGHT in front of a picture window where some people were sitting. If I could have only seen their faces when it first pulled up :shock:

houdel

I'm hoping to have it ready for the Clare show. It will cost me $200-$250 in gas for the round thrip there though!

houdel

M125 Engine Pictures

Had time to snap a few pics of the M125 Wrecker today. Here are some engine compartment shots. That engine is HUGE! Those valve covers must be over 3-1/2 feet long! I meant to place a yardstick in there to show the relative size of things but forgot. Also note the air cleaner horn with DUAL oil bath air cleaners! I sure hope I never have to recore the radiator. Just to put things in perspective, I measured the engine compartment side covers and they are 4-1/2 feet long.

I will be posting more pics as time allows. If anyone wants any specific pics, post your wants in this thread and I'll get them when I can. I will take underside pics soon but the truck is sitting on a sheet of ice right now - too cold and slippery to lie down on! Sorry if the shots are a bit cut off, I zoomed my camera out as much as I could but had to take all the pics standing on the fenders or winch. The truck is parked between a couple of snowbanks on a sheet of ice, no place to put a step ladder to get better pics.

Attachments

houdel

M125 Wrecker carburetor

Here are a few detail shots of the carburetor and air horn. Sure hope I can find someone with the skills and parts to work on it when it needs rebuilding! I case you can't tell, I'm a relic of the real old days. I cut my teeth wrenching back when Hollys and Rochester Quadrajets were king of the hill! Hmmm, wonder if I can fab up an adapter to fit a Holley four barrel in there?

Note the extra throttle return spring installed by none other than Mickey Mouse himself!

Attachments