• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M127 Pulled by a super singled 818...

1310monster

What happens when you attempt to pull a 127 flatbed (or any trailer for that matter) with a 818 that has the big tires swapped onto it? Can bigger rubber be put on the trailer to level things out? If I bought an 818 and wanted to put a set of super singles with a set of xzl's which are about 54" tall...right?....won't the trailer have a steep grade toward the front? I won't be able to live with that. Either the trailer will have to be blocked up off the axle or bigger rubber put on.....ANy help is appreciated...

M1075

Those M127s have a steep angle to the M818s in stock form. Bigger tires only compound the issue. Put some singles on the trailer too! You might also consider the likliehood of the trailer rubbing on the tractor tires.

1310monster

Those M127s have a steep angle to the M818s in stock form. Bigger tires only compound the issue. Put some singles on the trailer too! You might also consider the likliehood of the trailer rubbing on the tractor tires.

Is there even enough center of one axle to the center of the other to even fit those xzl's...on a trailer? Is the spacing the same as the tractor? Has anyone done this....ever?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In stock form there is a 6 inch difference in height for the 127. The kingpin sits at 49 1/2 inches for the deck to be level. The fithwheel is 55 1/2 inches unloaded. It is a little too short with the landing gear all the way down. So to couple them together you have to use the brakes or block the wheels. Whith the xl's mating the two would be fun to say the least. You would need t orun the same tires on the trailor. And get pads for the landing gear to get the kingpin high enough to couple the two. I've made lift blocks for my 127 but haven't installed them yet. They are 3 inches thick. This won't level the deck but it will look much better. I've thought of removing the spacer blocks between the fithwheel and the frame on the truck but havent decided if the mounts will clear the truck frame or not. That would only give me a 2 inch difference.

mudguppy

most models of trailers had to be modified before they could be pulled w/ the M1088's - the kingpin was moved forward (so that the tires of the 1088 would clear the landing gear) and 6" - 8" blocks were added to the landing gear feet (or blocks were supplied).

i don't know the height of the 1088 fifth wheel, but it is quite a bit higher than either the 818 or 939 fifth wheels.

so long as the rears can clear the trailer gear, you can just use blocks to get the trailer high enough. but the trailer deck to tire clearance needs to be checked, or you may just have to stay on-road.