• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M127 stake semi trailer restoration

pmramsey

I won this exceptional M127 this spring out of M'burg PA. I just finished rebuilding the brakes and replacing the brake housing. The housings are the same as those on the 800 series trucks. Memphis Equipment had them for $58 each. The deck is almost new along with the paint.

Just added nine new 11 x 20 tires and this trailer is ready for some serious work. The rims were x-rayed, stripped, primed, and painted flat black before mounting the new tires.

Attachments

Last edited:

vtdeucedriver

I won this exceptional M127 this spring out of M'burg PA. I just finished rebuilding the brakes and replacing the brake housing. The housings are the same as those on the 800 series trucks. Memphis Equipment had them for $58 each. The deck is almost new along with the paint.

Just added nine new 11 x 20 tires and this trailer is ready for some serious work.
Nice job!

Bighurt

Just added nine new 11 x 20 tires and this trailer is ready for some serious work. The rims were x-rayed, stripped, primed, and painted flat black before mounting the new tires.
I agree nice job. But the tread on those tires seams a tad aggressive for a trailer...LOL

pmramsey

I agree nice job. But the tread on those tires seams a tad aggressive for a trailer...LOL
I agree with you regarding the tread on the new tires. However, I won a a lot of 12 of the tires from GL. Since both my M818s have less than 3000 miles on their tires and have far more agressive tread still, I opted to put the new tires on the trailer. Gl made a video of our operation and put it on U-Tube.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9urAj736mdo[/media]

Bighurt

I agree with you regarding the tread on the new tires. However, I won a a lot of 12 of the tires from GL. Since both my M818s have less than 3000 miles on their tires and have far more agressive tread still, I opted to put the new tires on the trailer. Gl made a video of our operation and put it on U-Tube.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9urAj736mdo[/media]
I figured as much, nice video.

Thanks

Bighurt

Other than a landing gear handle, I did'nt have to do anything to the M871 I picked up in Oklahoma. Looked like it had been totally redone just before the auction, our tax dollars at work. Bighurt won his out of the same lot!
Yup mine has sides and highway tires...more money in the tires than I paid for the lot.

She's been immensely helpful in my home rebuild (if your following that thread).

Word to the wise just because the air lines look sound doesn't ring true. The plus on the M871 trailers is the airlines can be had at a local brake shop for about $12.

Mine were fine the entire trip home, walked her around at about 88° and it was obvious they were all dry rotted. Better in my back yard than on the road.

Glad to see you got your trailer out of Tuttle.

Finally was able to pick it up, after numerous set backs. Everything looks to be good under my trailer. Would of liked to had the side boards and highway tires too, but still very happy with the trailer!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He he, there's one coming up on our favorite auction site that almost has NO decking left. Would be interesting to see a before/after of one needing new decking...

vtdeucedriver

He he, there's one coming up on our favorite auction site that almost has NO decking left. Would be interesting to see a before/after of one needing new decking...
I think your talking about the one in OK. It looked a bit rough. I climbed up into the back of mine for the first time and walked the lengith of it. For 28 feet, it sure is BIG :) I got a couple of punky spots but they are to the center and not a issue for what I need at this time. Just wondering if I can just change out those sections or just go ahead and re deck it for the long haul. It sucks as there are alot of good pieces so if I can just replace the bad spots now, I just may do it as it looks like it will be a job.

BTW if anyone in New England needs side boards............I GOT A DEAL!!! ;-)

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone here ever had to replace a wood deck on a trailer like this? How much trouble was it, and how much did it cost for the wood and/or labor?

These older flatbeds are pretty neat, I have seen a handful of them turn up on GL recently and I'm surprised they don't go for more money.

jasonjc

They all seem to sell for more than I have. I had to redeck a small flat bed trailer. I made the mistake of listening to a buddy and used treated 2X10's as they "fit" with out having to rip any thing down. They made a nice tight fit. Untill a few months later when they dryed old. Now I have big gaps. NOTE when using treated wood let it dry real good (weeks or months)before using it. They even broke the screws.

Bighurt

Anyone here ever had to replace a wood deck on a trailer like this? How much trouble was it, and how much did it cost for the wood and/or labor?

These older flatbeds are pretty neat, I have seen a handful of them turn up on GL recently and I'm surprised they don't go for more money.
That would depend on your skills and what you use to re-deck the trailer. most trailers originally are decked with a particular plank and self tapping screws. These pentrate the beam and make a good attachment.

Unfortunatly it's next to impossible to do so a second time. We have deck hold-down clips for this. Essentially its a clawed washer that claws into the deck material and has a tab under the beam. When used with a nut and carriage bolt it's an effective tiedown.

Anyone that can use a drill and wrench can use them. You skill will come in cutting and finishing the deck material itself.

I wouldn't use green wood treated or not, as mentioned it will shrink. Apitong or Teak are great deck materials, although not on the cheap end of the specrum they will last a long time.

Personally your intended project is right up my alley and what I hope to do with my own trailer addiction.

Attachments

Last edited:

I was lucky to find used lumber to use on my m269 wrecker lowboy some came from a old bridge it was thicker so I used it on the out side's where the tires of a hauled truck would be the other would I come across I used in the center . I used 1/4 self tapping screws a # 1 drill bit works good for making the holes through the wood and in to the steel a smaller drill bit makes the screw work to hard when cutting the threads and the screw snaps or damages the threads .

GHILL55

Replacing the deck is easy, it's all carriage bolts. I completely removed the deck in 2 days with an air ratchet. I was able to salvage about 75% of the oak decking (heavily weather checked) and all the steel cargo strips in near perfect condition. With the deck off it's easier to R&R the wiring and to work on the brakes. I posted pics from my build (see archive) and will resume work in a week or two.
Anyone with moderate woodworking skills can replace the deck, Id recommend TREX decking over oak, no warping, splitting weathering, etc.

jasonjc

On my trailer I just cut out one row of wood then use bolt cutter on the bolts. That makes it go fast. The bolt are too rusted to mess with.

Does anyone know where too get new steel strips???

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a quick question - if someone had a M127 trailer that was in excellent condition, nice decking, tires were 80% or better, everything worked and the paint was pretty fresh, what's the retail value on something like that? Just curious...

GHILL55

I know I'm a long ways off but I have all the steel strips that came off my trailer that need to go to a good home. They are in excellent condition, don't think they ever had a load on them. Someone told me these have the same specs as the chevy pickups from the 40s.

Attachments