• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M127 stake semi trailer restoration

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone ever restored a full length semi trailer, such as the M127 stake flatbed trailer? All the ones I have ever seen in person are beat to crap, the wood all rotten and split, and the metal rusty as heck. However I seem to remember a picture somewhere showing a full restoration, painted in 24087 olive drab semi gloss, with new oak sideboards and decking. Was that anyone here?

No.2Diesel

Hi,

I guess they are so useful that they are worn out. They are long enough to haul crap but not too long to make them cumbersome.

Thank you maddawg for starting this thread. They don't get alot of attention...

A member of my ATHS chapter has a mint M127 that he has been trying to sell now for a few years. It looks great behind his B-61. Yes it may be civilian colors but it is in nice condition none the less. If anyone is interested its going for cheap and you can contact me.

Here are the pics, Enjoy!

Attachments

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one that i'm slowly working on. Im putting more attention into my M52A2 first though. I found a place here in houston that will redeck it. So i'm planning on that next spring. I got lucky on it, it came with all the side boards and even had all the lights working. Even the blackouts. I made some 3inch lift blocks for the rear. I'm thinking of raising it to help level it with the tractor. I know, i know, it's already a tall trailer.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Topo, that's awesome. More pictures please :D

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've painted my M127A2C and changed out the reflectors.

Recently, the landing gear stopped working on the "high speed" setting. Unfortunately, I know it takes about 200 cranks to get the landing gear back on the ground so that you can unhook the tractor. I took apart the landing gear gearbox and cleaned it out and repacked it with GAA. It still doesn't work though, so I fear I may have to take a look at the landing gear legs themselves.

At some point, I'll pull the wheels and tires and clean off the studs so that I can change a tire on the side of the road. I will probably repack the bearings and inspect the brakes then too.

I have a full set of the sides, and I will probably clean them up, paint them, and put them on. They are a pain and a half to install and remove.

Attachments

jasonjc

There was a M818 and M87? that were fresh from the paint shop. At least they looed like it.:drool: At the ARMVPA Red Ball conovy.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
There is one of those two axle trailers at a scrap yard near me....still has the sideboards on it. It is sitting in a storage area....not where they cut stuff up....it's been there a while. If someone is interested I'll stop in and see what they want for it.

I would go for it but it is too heavy for the M275 and I don't want to pull it with the M915.

Last edited:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are two sitting in Coleman's yard that are pretty beat but the frame and deck are solid. It's a shame they're just sinking into the Pennsylvania mud as time goes on...

Attachments