• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M134 Minigun build.

This build is officially finished. Thank you Ahab and everyone else for following my progress. The gun made it's debut this weekend at the Weare NH Rally. As you can imagine it was a big hit. I'll update the thread if I ever end up getting a flex chute and installing it, until then feel free to ask questions about the build. I would be happy to assist anyone in building their own.
-GM

Attachments

mgnoob

I also saw it at the show, i wanted to get in and look at it.its such a nice replica it almost justifies the $150-$200 a foot for feed chute.

I have a 2 chutes , a 400rd m60 helicopter can and a 1200rd minigun feedcan.After the show i have this burning need to get a vehicle to mount it all on.i just joined to research mounting options and view photos

Nice work on your replica! I hadn't realized it was a project you just finished until i stumbled on your thread.

m38inmaine

I met the general at the Weare show this weekend, nice truck leading in the big truck convoy. His gun project was a nice attraction at the show, good job.

prguntruck

What rate of fire do you desire? I have an associate working towards 1000 to 1200 pops per minute.
Development might be a year away.
And, why not setup the simfire mechanism in the center tube? I know it's not correct, but makes design and application so easy

What rate of fire do you desire? I have an associate working towards 1000 to 1200 pops per minute.
Development might be a year away.
And, why not setup the simfire mechanism in the center tube? I know it's not correct, but makes design and application so easy
The center tube is where I would set up a gas fire system, in fact I designed the entire gun around a potential upgrade at some point. I can get a 1200RPM system right now, it's designed to simulate the MG42 German machine gun. I would rather have something closer to the real rate of fire (3000 RPM). I'm looking at a sound board run through my PA system or possibly a pneumatic sound effect.

Another Ahab

The center tube is where I would set up a gas fire system, in fact I designed the entire gun around a potential upgrade at some point. I can get a 1200RPM system right now, it's designed to simulate the MG42 German machine gun. I would rather have something closer to the real rate of fire (3000 RPM). I'm looking at a sound board run through my PA system or possibly a pneumatic sound effect.
That thing is designed to fire operably?!

That thing is designed to fire operably?!
The drive shaft that runs up the center of the barrels is a solid shaft, however if replaced with a thick walled hardened 3/4" tube it can be used as a firing barrel for a gas/oxy mixture and thus a simfire upgrade is technically possible.

There would still be significant hurdles to overcome, not the least of which would be designing a swivel union between the rotating barrel and fixed firing chamber capable of rotating at full speed and not overheating once it's subjected to 50 small explosions per second. Needless to say, it's not going to happen any time soon.

Well I keep crispifying 30A relays in this baby, time to step it up I guess. Strange because my amperage calculation for the 350W motor came in at around 15. Anyway I'm stepping up to a 60A Bosch relay to keep her spinning. She continues to WOW at shows and is a big hit with the kids.

Attachments

Last edited:

BLK HMMWV

Nice build. You have some mad skills to scratch build that.
I cheated and used an airsoft M134 as my platform and then modified it into more of the Dillon Aero version.
I too would love to Sim Fire mine but we seem to both be trying to figure out a way to get the gas into the center of the barrels and allow them to spin and still seal the gas.

BH

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks