• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M135 S and M Build

gentrysgarage

While we are talking about weight.....

HiYa Dave,

PM'd back Thanks!

I have a feeling they are heavier than the G177/Deuce wheel combo...regrettably I didn't weigh either of the 2 Goodyear OZ tires and M135 rims,,,.

So While we are talking about weight, the last calculation I had was 9,436.5 -520 (2 rims and tires M35 weight for now) = 8916.5 - 24 (12 pounds ea spring guides X 2)= 8892.5 pounds.

So this looks good but we are almost at the end of the diet and will start adding the poundage back with the G506 springs, M105 hangers and M135 shackles.

But there is still a few places to loose some more weight and I bet the Hydomatic is going to be heavier than the Eaton trans and clutch combo

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The skidsteer works well on uneven ground or a slope so it's good to find a landscaper that isn't busy. That assembly is heavy so be careful.

I saw this crazy video years ago and managed to find it for you. Since you're on a slope, all you need to do is tie the engine to the rotor from your helicopter, have someone push down on the far end then swing it out over the edge of the fuselage. Right around the 5:50 mark you see them use the rotor as a crane, neat trick. You just need a helicopter!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSzg656UcqY

gentrysgarage

I had thought of something similar.....

HiYa Plowboy,
Its funny you bring up helicopters many years ago I had to work on a Sunday in case there was any damage to the building I was working at....

sword1.jpg

I checked the cost and it was a little over budget....LOL!

The red circle was were I was watching from. This pilot was really good. They lifted the bus twice adjusted the lines twice and he was ready to go...he had that dangling bus fully under his control and even purposely put some sway in it for effect...1 take shot!

rustystud

But there is still a few places to loose some more weight and I bet the Hydomatic is going to be heavier than the Eaton trans and clutch combo
Oh come on now. The basic transmission only weighs in at 435 Ibs. Add the deep cast iron oil pan and cooler and that bumps it up another 100 Ibs. Then of course there is the two speed splitter on the back. I don't know how much that weighs in at but I would guess at least 200 Ibs. So that means the transmission only weighs in about 735 Ibs ! Of course that is more then most engines but hey what are you going to do ? :-D

gentrysgarage

Oh come on now. The basic transmission only weighs in at 435 Ibs. Add the deep cast iron oil pan and cooler and that bumps it up another 100 Ibs. Then of course there is the two speed splitter on the back. I don't know how much that weighs in at but I would guess at least 200 Ibs. So that means the transmission only weighs in about 735 Ibs ! Of course that is more then most engines but hey what are you going to do ? :-D
HiYa Rusty,

LOL!!!
I wish we had the complete weight, my scale won't go anywhere near that! But with the FSO-6406 dry weight with belhousing and no shift tower weighing in at 366 pounds dry I am already ahead of the game! I will weigh the individual components (clutch, flywheel and flywheel SAE 2 adapter) this weekend for a more complete weight...lets not forget the shift tower I no longer need also!
Maybe save enough weight that I can have a winch on the front when I get the weight slip for registration and still be under 10K!

rustystud

HiYa Rusty,

LOL!!!
I wish we had the complete weight, my scale won't go anywhere near that! But with the FSO-6406 dry weight with belhousing and no shift tower weighing in at 366 pounds dry I am already ahead of the game! I will weigh the individual components (clutch, flywheel and flywheel SAE 2 adapter) this weekend for a more complete weight...lets not forget the shift tower I no longer need also!
Maybe save enough weight that I can have a winch on the front when I get the weight slip for registration and still be under 10K!
That weight I quoted did not include the bellhousing , shift tower or even the flywheel. These transmissions where the first so they didn't know what would break or what could be made from aluminum. We now know the whole housing can be made from aluminum, but back then who knew ? That is one reason they have lasted so long. That and so many where made. Still I don't know of any other makes of transmissions still working after 75 years !
Just the "Hydra-Matic" .

Last edited:

gentrysgarage

New video!

Well last weekend got a few things done and made 2 videos! One is ready to go and the second should be ready tonight....I think I have figured out away to streamline the editing process! So if I get to work on the truck they will come more regularly!

Without further ado I present to you Set-up and initial planning.....

https://youtu.be/BN1qibb8A7I

Please like, subscribe, and comment on YouTube the more interaction I get the further up the food chain I go and the easier it is for others to find my videos!
Thanks

gentrysgarage

And Ba-Baaammm another video!

With the beginnings and endings saved like a Gilligan's Island episode, I can really get these out with only 2 nights of editing!

Without further ado I present The First Cut is the Deepest!

https://youtu.be/JOTZGNG0TA0

Also have questions on sawsall blades.

I am trying to keep the videos short (around the 5 minute mark give or take) to make it easier if watching on a phone or on break...how do you guys like it? Good? or Longer?

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone who has the ability to dream the outcome, then the drive to get it to the finish lines is a master in my books. To take the time to share it, record it and make a decent video of the process, that's just over the top.
You're awesome. I'll come down and do some background guitar music for you to carry your theme along. It's groovin' and usually I enjoy the real sounds of a video, the way you blend it and your choice of music...in my Choir of the Frari tuned ear, awesome. I'd like to see you do a little jig at the end of each video making it slightly bigger each day until the final outburst at the end....when we get to drive it. Then it's a full out Irish dance.

It's cool how you set the vids up as a start, then finish on the various tasks you're doing. Seeing a small 'project' within the 'project' from start to finish will probably help most guys. What I would get out of something like this is a greater confidence of "safe work practices and job procedures" you use to hit the goal line. You make it look easy so that helps. Maybe dropping in a 3-7 second 'still' picture, a still snapshot of you holding your tool of preference as you begin to cut, drill, weld measure, square, level and compass. Another still pic of the sparks, smoke and ash rolling off the truck........then roll the video again as you apply the first coat of primer over the fresh, but cooled weld.

As for cutting steel, clean, square flat, with some finesse...I'm not sure. We cut sea-cans apart to build a village for tactical practice and the cleanest we get is using a 14" or 12" gas powered, hand held cut-off saw. It's violent but makes fast work of anything. Holding it in a horizontal position for a big cut is a workout but you could set up a mounted jig for it pretty easy.

I'll try to peak at the blades we have, I think they're Milwaukee....not that there's anything wrong with that. I don't recall that we ever had a yaahoo moment with any blades...as long as they're made in the U.S.A.

Keep it going!

gentrysgarage

1.29.18 Progress

Thanks for the kind words!
Uhm about taking pics of sparks and fire....not going to happen anytime soon, though Very dramatic and cool. The camera cost ALOT more than the M135 and I can't replace it if it gets damaged or fried! You doing background music sounds GrrrEAT!

Made some progress on the M135, not video worthy amount, but good.

IMG_0593.jpgIMG_0585.jpgIMG_0589.jpgIMG_0597.jpgIMG_0593.jpgIMG_0585.jpgIMG_0589.jpgIMG_0597.jpg

Wish list/agenda for this week is:
Remove brake backing plate passenger side (got axle out this weekend)
Remove pumpkin and cover plate
Work on sub assembly parts for spring hangers
Install SAE 2 flywheel adapter and flywheel to Cummins (clutch too maybe if the alignment tool ever arrives)
Research spring eye bushings for the G506 springs (Plwboy could you send a pic of the G749 part number page for comparison, Please)
Plan a method of attack for drilling and tapping rear mount bosses on one side of the Eaton trans...one side was done at the factory...guess one side of the assembly line didn't know it didn't need them for the original application)

Then this weekend attach rear axle spring assembly assembly
Video

HOPEFULLY

End of Update
Carry On!

gentrysgarage

A Tale of 3 Flywheel housings and lessons to be learned by my mistakes/experiences

WARNING LONG READ PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

Howdy Gents,
Let me tell a tale of woe, piracy, deceit and desperation....This is the tale of three flywheel housings.

To start off this tale a little backstory should be related. It started long ago with King Gillette (actual guy interesting bio) and Crown Cork and Seal this company and person is the root of our disposable society today. It would be a long winded story...so that is your homework should you choose to accept . What they set forth was refined by the Edsel and Jack Welch (of GE). In summation and for those with little patience for homework is as follows:

Make a product that breaks, or if it is too good change a few things to make it hard to source parts or never sell only lease something that is too good (none of the airlines own the jet turbines on their planes they are leased from GE)

So what has this to do with Cummins flywheel housings...this falls into the second category of changing a good thing. As anyone who has tried to source any Cummins exterior parts it is a convoluted rat maze of erroneous and discontinued and changed part numbers and the worst part by far is the flywheel housings. I have pages of part numbers for them for the 6B engine. Lots of misinformation and some mistyped numbers make trying to find one a real nightmare.

I have been searching for and researching flywheel housings for years and when I found a SAE 2 flywheel housing (abbreviated as FH from now on) they where too high or sold in seconds...so I know I am not alone in this quest.

When I got the G-7123 I resumed my quest, found the Eaton trans (another story onto itself) all that was left was the flywheel housing. I was a regular on TPI, Heavy Trucks and other websites of the same ilk that acted as third parties to the medium Trucking used parts companies (ie junkyards). I also called LKQ and Vander Haas directly and there was a common theme..they don't know what SAE housing they are and where too lazy to measure..have a part number was always the response. Even Holst parts that I have the parts manager's cell number on speed dial was apologetic but did not want to send me the wrong one and his staff was too busy to measure them.

Like I said this is years of off and on searching...this is where desperation was creeping in. On eBay Active Truck Parts in Hudson CO listed a SAE2 FH. I called them directly to verify, the person who answered said sorry that sold but I have an early ISB FH and they interchange...I said fine I had read this on the internet and he swore it was the same. How much I ask , 325 with shipping, decent price..is it in good shape..he said yes its still on the motor I'll get it pulled and sent to you. This is the deceit part.

I receive it and it has 2 broken bolts for the mounts and the rest were either helicoiled badly or needed helicoiling. I call back and say its in bad shape, first was we don't sell bad parts, after awhile still remaing calm I said just take it back, they said fine, but i would have to pay shipping and they would not refund the shipping already paid. I hung up And did not think of the credit card fraud option. Days afterwards I found that the frame of the COE was a twisted pretzel and put the FH out of my mind as it was giving me an ulcer. This is the piracy.

Time passes and flash forward to the parts truck cum-restoratiion M135. I decide to use the drivetrain I got for the COE in it to make it quick. I find an EDM guy and he says 250.00 to fix the problem with oversize threads (1/2 16tpi). Fine do it. He does a great job and all is good ...or so I thought.
Here is where I made a huge mistake that falls back to my desperation and my too trusting nature. Can you guess what it was?

Yes that's right I NEVER EVER checked if the dang thing would bolt up .....Totally my mistake. Monday night I was in the garage trying to get the different subassemblies together so I have the old engine trans out and the new one in the least amount of time. And yeah it doesn't work.

sad-face.jpg

So I have pissed away over 575.oo on this FH housing that will do me no good. Luckily I am under the gun to finish this truck and don't have time to beat myself up over it...I need a FH. More research, roll the dice and pick a number out of a hat that came up alot in my previous research 3931716 only thing coming up was ended auctions. Then about the 15th time i get a facebook hit. I message him and he emails me back...its Chinese (not thrilled about it, but not finding them in America in aluminum and the 9 o'clock starter placement). He tells me 215.00, I ask how much shipped and time frame. He replies 277.00 and 3-5 days. Great let me know about payment and get an invoice. He sends over an invoice for 502.00 (with 10.00 paypal fee even with 502.00 actual dollars sent). Waitttt a second, 277.00 plus 10. equals 287.00 not 502.00 I reply. I go back and read the email exchange and where I asked for a total he only sent the shipping, slight misunderstanding, but more than I was willing to pay FOR cHINESE as steel SAE@ with ugly industrial high starter placement where 400. domestically. Just too much. And as luck (hopefully) I repeat the same searches on the same usual suspects and one pops up in a Phoenix yard go figure. I paid for it and its on the way....

So did you like the long winded story?

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is not a funny story. I came here for a funny story.

It looks like you solved the problem with money so you're good... or do you need Chinese translation? I might get an engine/transmission assembly loaded here before spring so I'll run to the scales and get a weight.....just in case you still need it.

Funny story, our newest bridge came from South Korea. We should make steel at competitive prices in North America . """Completion of the $155-million Walterdale Bridge is delayed another year, says the city, as 102 Avenue Bridge construction sits in limbo while experts determine if its steel girders are safe."""
http://edmontonsun.com/2015/04/08/e...year/wcm/3fca97a7-3bdd-4cfd-97a6-1c9d4aff049a

gentrysgarage

Hi Guys,

That is not a funny story. I came here for a funny story.

It looks like you solved the problem with money so you're good... or do you need Chinese translation? I might get an engine/transmission assembly loaded here before spring so I'll run to the scales and get a weight.....just in case you still need it.

Funny story, our newest bridge came from South Korea. We should make steel at competitive prices in North America . """Completion of the $155-million Walterdale Bridge is delayed another year, says the city, as 102 Avenue Bridge construction sits in limbo while experts determine if its steel girders are safe."""
http://edmontonsun.com/2015/04/08/e...year/wcm/3fca97a7-3bdd-4cfd-97a6-1c9d4aff049a

When the energy crisis hit America and the electric furnace plants where being charged so much for power and closing down. The supply companies started sourcing steel from other countries, India proved expensive and quality was all over the place. Quickly they looked for other places and South Korea came up. It was better quality and cheaper or so they said. I feel it was the later on 2 levels price and quality ..though better than India. I have worked on many buildings aged from 1958 to 2005. The only buildings I have been in with problematic/leaking sprinkler pipe where from the 1980s and yes you guessed it, pipes made in South Korea. I do hear both India and South Korea have gotten better, but when was the last time you saw a LeCar on the road...once shown bad its hard to trust it again. I think its good they held the bridge up for testing.

That is why I only install complete engine assemblies which include the transmission when modifying from factory. I learned that lesson the hard way decades ago.
Yeah I just learned it......This would have saved a ton of money....live and learn.

gentrysgarage

It came today!
IMG_0690.jpg

So during the week, I will be assembling the motor and clutch (if my alignment tool ever comes that is! Amazon still no ship 3 weeks and in stock what gives?)

IMG_0692.jpg

This weekend is spring perches...I hope its on all fours at the end of the weekend...but knowing my luck...

Also what do you think about a black engine in an OD engine compartment sound like a good combo?

gentrysgarage

YEAH 200th View on YouTube! And ARMStrong tools to the rescue!

YEAH!!!!

Made the 200 views mark on the my M135 Deuce restification/fabrications channel!!!!

Small.gif

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiUuhKuqb_jIllwP7Zp-jBw

Cut 2 mounts for the spring perches with all manner of power tools..first the HarborJunk cutoff say that was a little too small to finish the cut and I guess is starting to short out as towards the end of the first (and last) almost cut it kept tripping the breaker even though it wasn't really cutting anything....yet another tool to buy :-(. Then sawsall, porta bandsaw (too small a throat sadly), they came out too messed up to use. Then I used the good old ARMstrong hacksaw,

IMG_0693.jpg

Took ALLOOOONNNNG time gut 90%+ by hand...and you could tell when I picked up a power tool when I was tired and quickly put it back up!!!! So I got 4 cut now to cut the 3/16 plates!

Well It would hide any oil leaks ! :-D
Yeah, yeah, yeah....LOL!!!!!!

Last edited:

gentrysgarage

Wow, I didn't even know my last post was a month ago! Aside from aquiring a few small pieces and realizing that the G506/M135 shackle pin bores are smaller than the M105 spring hangers (same as M35 front springs) And starting the hunt for them. Worked on the spring hanger mounts a little. The weather was not to cooperative for power tools (showers to rain) or I was sick...I had a very unproductive month.:sad:

This past weekend was a little better got the bogie mount cleaned up and ready for hangers

3.18.18.jpg

Think I am going to head to the steel supply store in the morning and remake the front spring hanger mounts...want to make it a little bigger to use 2 existing bolt holes. I hope I can get them to cut it at an angle...so I don't Armstrong it again! Doubt it though....

Oh yeah if you have some M105 springs, pins and shackles and near LA let me know....Thanks

gentrysgarage

Coming along nicely!

Thanks M35a2,

My grandfather once said that how will you get fed if you don't open your mouth? So I will ask if someone will sell a Mopar to me (who has turned others down) and so forth...it has paid off my whole life.

To get to the point, I was being pessimistic about getting the rectangular tubing cut at an angle...but I opened my mouth and asked..the clerk thought about it a long time and said maybe, check back at 1pm. Didn't get a chance to go back or call so 2 days later I go to the store...not far away but 45 minute drive though the parking lots that are called the CA freeways (even at 6:30 AM!). I get there they can't find the paperwork. After awhile a floor boss comes and finds me and says there was a question. I go and the angle was wrong a quick correction and 15-20 mins later......

Money Well Spent 3.23.18.jpg

$20.00 extra dollars well spent!

I smell a new GentrysGarage video soon!!!!!!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks