• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M149 Water Trailer Frame

SturmTyger380

I ran across a M149 water tank trailer that is in good shape. I have seen worse left over trailers than this one. The guy was going to scrap it out so took a chance and brought it home.

It looks like at some time it was being towed and then some bone head backed it into a jackknife and kept backing. That caused the frame to warp some. Up near the lunette it has quite a kink into it. It still tracks ok but looks funny when you look at it head on.

Question: Has anyone ever tried to straighten a trailer frame before?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Uses the same frame as an M105. Grab a cheap M105 and swap chassis. Sell leftovers to someone on the prowl to bob a deuce.

aboonski

Love to find a stainless tank for an M149A2. I have a really nice trailer for one but no tank. Bought it from a farmer over in Orlando Florida pretty cheap and it had all of the components (plumbing and faucets) plus the buckets that cover the faucets. They had some fiberglass tank on it that they pulled off when I went to pick it up. Just now bought a brand new rear valve for my functional and complete M149A2 and when it gets here I'll get the tank sanitized so I can use it here at the house for my potable water supply.

SturmTyger380

Good idea on my M105 frame. I could transfer the brackets from one to the other. Would be cheaper than seeing if a frame and body shop might could put it on their rack and give it a tweak. I will take some pictures. Alan

SturmTyger380

Here are the pictures. You can see the bend in the frame. So this looks the same as the M105? Seems I have seen diffrent fittings on the M105 frames I have seen.

Picture 001.jpgPicture 002.jpgPicture 004.jpgPicture 006.jpgPicture 007.jpgPicture 008.jpg

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I would worry more about the brakes than the "tweak". Does it have the lid? I might have some brake parts if you decide to look for them.

SturmTyger380

I really have not had time to check out the brakes but yes the brake lines and air lines are either gone or rusted.

But yes I would be interested in any parts to help complete it. Oh and I do have the man hole cover lid.

Last edited:

aboonski

Nice photos! Looks like a perfect tank too. I actually have three M149A2 frames and two tanks, one is an oddball that I cannot even identify but it is aluminum. I have one pretty near complete M149A2 with the same tank as you have. Just bought a brand new rear valve for mine that I hope to install pretty soon. I keep hoping to see a surplus stainless tank here in Florida on GL but never my luck to find one close by. I don't know why I want more than one of these things - possibly for the parts to the brake system since they are the same as the M105A2 and I have three of them. You can buy the plumbing parts right off of Ebay - the piping is red brass that comes off of the gate valve in the front. I see the cans for the faucets listed on Ebay all the time as well. You can go to a good auto parts place and get the hose to connect everything up.

SturmTyger380

I went to look at a trailer frame this weekend that a guy has.
it is a left over M103 frame. I took some pictures. when I
look at the pictures at home it looks like the frame is bent some
near the lunette.

I was hoping that I could use this to replace the frame for my M149 trailer.
To me it looks like it is bent. I know the lunette is bent.

The frame would work but would need lots of changes to fit the tank.
What to you guys think? The guy wants $75 for the frame.

Anyone have a M149 frame they would sell?

I tested the air diaphram on mine and it works but the master cylinder is toast.

Picture 020.jpgPicture 024.jpgPicture 027.jpg

jasonjc

The M149A2 does not use the same frame as the M105/103. The M149A2 has it's own frame. The M107 use's the M105/103 frame.

SturmTyger380

Dave,

What frame is that? M105?

My m149 cross members are curved to match the profile of the tank.

If I end up using a M105 or M103 frame I would have to transfer the cross members..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks