• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M151 GRC/19 Radio installation

2deuce

Has anyone put this into their MUTT? Pictures would be outstanding! I'm considering doing it as a display, but question how it mounts. Are there legs under the MT851? I've seen a few pictures of the GRC/19 in the rear of a jeep, and it looks like it is off the floor, and something is under it. I also need the cables that connect everything, so I will need to get a manual for that info. It may be just me, but I think a period correct radio installation really completes the military look.

Thanks

2deuce

Thanks for the link. A lot of radio information there, but nothing I saw on the GRC/19. Maybe it wasn't used in the M151. Seems like it could have been since the "19" was used into the early 70's and they built the 195b late 60's. I thought it would be a easier, smaller installation, than the huge AN/MRC 108/109 and more interesting than the RT524. I think my jeep originally may have come with the big 108 set because of it's serial #. Anyway I hope something comes up about the GRC/19 in a MUTT, I seem to remember reading about it.

Thanks

mutt1966

GRC radios are called 'Boat Anchors' for a reason, I don't believe they were ever mounted in a M151 series vehicle, they weigh in at around 300lbs and were replaced by the GRC-106 by that time....

2deuce

I don't know about the GRC/19 in a M151, but they were in jeeps. The MT851 was made to mount the "19" in a jeep. They put the AN/MRC 108 in the M151a1, but the jeep was beefed up to carry it. It would have made the GRC/19 considered a lightweight. The GRC/19 is heavy and very complex and is amazing that it was ever actually built, from what I have read about it. I have heard them called "boat anchors" because of their weight and low performance compared to what is modern.

2deuce

I've read that page before, it has more info on the GRC 19 than anywhere I have been able to find so far, but other than the unit in a jeep, I don't recall anything about the M151. I have seen your picture before too, but it doesn't show any antenna's, or what is holding the mount off the floor. I have seen many pictures of the M851, but none I have found show what could be under it.

Thanks

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Always nice to see hard to find military radio with good protection. lol

Is it a working unit? The radio, that is.
No , not a working unit , missing s few tubes , but at the time a state of the art unit . One of our club members used one in Vietnam and said it took about 250 amps to get it up and running and and would use about 50 amps on standby !!!

2deuce

There are some very good links about the GRC 19 and the T195 in this thread. If your unit is a T195a or T195b that huge power requirement had been updated with a solid state power supply and some of the original T195's were fitted as well. They ran at about 30amps and didn't have that 250amp start up draw. I heard they were used in Vietnam, I'm wondering if your club member ever saw one installed in a M151?

Thanks

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are some very good links about the GRC 19 and the T195 in this thread. If your unit is a T195a or T195b that huge power requirement had been updated with a solid state power supply and some of the original T195's were fitted as well. They ran at about 30amps and didn't have that 250amp start up draw. I heard they were used in Vietnam, I'm wondering if your club member ever saw one installed in a M151?

Thanks
I spoke with him and he did not see a GRC19 in a 151 , he was AF and that GRC19 was installed in a M37 . He said the unit would run on the MV batteries for about 2 hours without the MV running ,

nattieleather

I never put the whole GRC 19 into my mutt when I had it, but I did at one time hare the PCR-25/77 with Am mounted on the passenger's side rear fender and the R-392 mounted on the driver's side rear fender. I love the R-392 great SW radio. I had the R-392 hooked up to an AB-15 antenna mounted on the drivers rear corner. Sorry pics were made before digital cameras and are lost someplace in my house. Anyway I know that it was never officially put there, but I would tell people that it was a unit modification ordered by the CO. Which is not a lie since I was the CO and the mutt was in my possession. LOL.
I think that if you want to mount the whole GRC 19 into your vehicle then go a head and do it. If it fits on the fender then put it there. If not you may need to make a bracket or a mount out of like angle iron and take out the back seat and mount it in it's place. I'm sure if a unit in the trenches needed to have one of those mounted in a M151 and the CO said get it done, they would have come up with something to make it work. Don't let nay sayers tell you no. It's your truck do with as you wish! Just post lots of pictures when you do.

Artillerydan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The GRC-19 was used well into the early M151 series, so the reality of the GRC-19 being M151 mounted is fairly good. BUT that reality may be somewhat problematic since its power draw was so high. The kits to convert to 100A alternator or larger was not till the M151A1 series (1964). The stock systems were only 25 amps. But the reality is who is going to truly argue with you. Radios look cool so, and it is plausible. I would say run with it.

2deuce

I've got the jeep mount(?) for the GRC19, but if it came with legs(?) I don't have those. I do have a R392, T195/b to go on the M851 mount. The M851, looks to me, fit on a platform of some kind that I think was meant to fit between the fenders of a M38 or M38a1. I haven't had much luck finding info on the M851 mount. It doesn't fit in the M151 very well. I hope someone reading this post remembers them. The M38 might have towed a generator. I don't know how the power requirement would have been met for the GRC19 in the M38 or M38a1. I would like to find the 100amp generator for the M151. I would like to have a M38 too, for that matter. lol

nattieleather

This may be a case of you're going to have to do some fabricating on your own to make the whole thing work. Since I don't think there was ever an official kit to install into the an M151, it would have been as a said above a unit level thing and the GIs would have had to make their own "kit" to make it work. You may have to do do the same thing. If you were in Ohio I'd lend you a hand making something but, Oregon is out of my traveling range... :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks