• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M151 - Possible first MV?

MudMarine

So I've been shopping around for my first MV, primarily a HMMWV but I've been discouraged to learn that they only have off-road titles. Thats when I came across this cool looking 1974 M151. Figured I'd come here and ask yall what you think? Currently asking 3K with the description

"Needs carb cleaner and batteries will run and drive when you pour gas in carb"

The price seems a little steep for the condition. I haven't talked to the seller yet so I dont have any other details. What are the good things to look for?

37287429_659675201057825_2142949859047505920_n.jpg37278946_659674507724561_3517252579593551872_n.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome. Price is fine. Don't sweat the carb/fuel system issues, these parts are readily available. On the M151s, body condition is everything. You want as little rust as possible. They all have some. Look underneath at the frame channels, these are unibody and things get ugly when rust sets in. Looks like someone was trying to create a fast attack clone. Title is a bit important too in a lot of states. Look into that before you bite.

FrankUSMC

I am right down the road from you in Newport....been collecting military vehicles sense 1975. If you get it, I have some of the parts it is missing.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

MudMarine

Welcome. Price is fine. Don't sweat the carb/fuel system issues, these parts are readily available. On the M151s, body condition is everything. You want as little rust as possible. They all have some. Look underneath at the frame channels, these are unibody and things get ugly when rust sets in. Looks like someone was trying to create a fast attack clone. Title is a bit important too in a lot of states. Look into that before you bite.
I appreciate the gouge. The title bit seems to be a running theme with all the MV's isn't it? It's one of the many things I've learned on these boards so far. I messaged the seller to see if he has the title. He lives pretty close by so I'll try to check it out this week. I'll post some more photos too so if I decide not to bite I can at least pass on the listing info to one of you gents.

MudMarine

I am right down the road from you in Newport....been collecting military vehicles sense 1975. If you get it, I have some of the parts it is missing.
Good to know parts are still out there. I read in one of these threads that there was a company making aftermarket body panels and stuff. Any idea if they are still in business?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good to know parts are still out there. I read in one of these threads that there was a company making aftermarket body panels and stuff. Any idea if they are still in business?
He is a member here ,
M151 Body Panels

If you want some sticker shock look in the vehicles for sale section at the 4- M151A2 non-runners one of the vendors listed today.

Edit ; And welcome to SS.

MudMarine

He is a member here ,
M151 Body Panels

If you want some sticker shock look in the vehicles for sale section at the 4- M151A2 non-runners one of the vendors listed today.

Edit ; And welcome to SS.
Good night you were not kidding about that sticker shock! Would it be safe to assume those are uncut frames in mostly original type condition? I saw one thread that placed the value of these around the 7k mark

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good night you were not kidding about that sticker shock! Would it be safe to assume those are uncut frames in mostly original type condition? I saw one thread that placed the value of these around the 7k mark
With them I doubt they ever looked to see if they were re-welded. If you notice they also only come with a Bill Of Sale.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m sure you are aware but m151s don’t have frames. Unibody construction. A very nice m151 is worth way more than $7000. Look for a Reweld. If done right not a big deal to me. If x cut stay away. I would pay $3000 for that one in a heart beat

Bryan 45

Could be a FAV clone, or could be a true FAV. The basket on the left fender and the rear fender mounted seats aren't easy to come by though, plus it has a pintle. I'm thinking unless the underbody is rotted out, that's well worth the 3K asking price.

Artillerydan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would be willing to give you a finders fee to put me in touch with the seller, if you did not want it. Lot of work to bring it back to a normal jeep with a windshield. I would want it for what it is.
Thanks!

MudMarine

Unfortunately my work hours kept me away for too long and someone else scooped it up! I was going to go check it out tomorrow but it sold today. I probably would've kept it looking like a FAV or if it felt too rich for my blood I definitely would've handed off the listing info for free to yall. Sorry we all missed out! Hopefully it went to a good home though

FrankUSMC

One of the Marines ( volunteers to help me with my small military museum) that comes over here to my place on weekends was telling me about that jeep a couple of weeks ago. I did not know the guy had it listed for sell. When I saw your post I knew it was the same jeep, but did not want to move on it because you were on it. Sorry you missed it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks