• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M151A1 new 4 wire alternator connection

suacla

Hello there team. My old alternator on the 151A1 just died (by the way, anybody knows anybody that rebuild those?) and I replaced it with a brand new military 60A alternator. I did not work and I though it was a bad one. I talked to a friend and he tells me it looks I am missing a wire. The alternator is no charging and I been told by an "old hand" I am missing the "exciter" wire that should come from the starter. I do have an extra post on the alternator conections, but I did not know better. Anybody can guide me on the right direction how to properly wire this thing and get it to charge? Any and all help will be appreciated!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The alternator does need an excite wire, but you need to tie it in with the ignitor feed, not the starter. If your alternator has a 12, gauge pigtail coming out of it, that is the excite wire which must be switched on when the ignition is on.

suacla

Good morning and thank for the comment. That was exactly what I though and I originally connected that way, but it doesn’t work.

Let me give some more background info into my jeep and then I will comment on the picture.

This is a M151 that I brought from Germany after my last tour there. It has a MWO for the jeeps at the EAO to install the new lights and turn signals. I am no sure if part of that MWO was to replace the generator for an alternator, but my jeep came already with an alternator, and it worked for some long time until it finally died last year. I got a brand-new alternator, the one on the picture, which I though it was a “1x1” replacement and I hook it up like that. It did not work and doesn’t charge. So, I started “investigating”. An old friend told me it needs to be “excited” to start charging and I must have missed a wire somewhere, but as you can see, my jeep only has 3 wires. A Battery, a negative, and a wire coming on the wire harness with a female connector.

Reding on different sites, I read one about somebody using an alternator from a HUMMER and they were talking that those alternators have a “pigtail” for some application that is no used on the 151, so I am wondering if this alternator is for a Hummer and that pigtail is no use and my wire harness wire should be connected to the small gold terminal next to the battery cable.

So, if anybody has any good ideas, just let me know. I got this alternator brand new on the box at a incredible price, so it should be good, but I do not have any idea for what application it may be, so being for a HUMMER can be a possibility.

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like all that needs to be done is to plug in the excite wire. There is no HMMWV specific alternator, the 60 amp units are all military standard. If your alternator does not function, double check that excite voltage is present at the wire when the ignition is on. It’s always possible someone sent you an alternator that was new but defective.

1Y875

There are 6 versions of the 60 amp, made by Ford, Prestolite Leece Neville, Southern Automotive and Sielman, as a unit all are interchangeable. It's the spare parts that can be a challenge

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks