• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M151A1 Rear Suspension

Hardbird

Hello All,

Is there a solution for the inward (towards the bottom) tilt of the rear wheels on a M151A1? I have two of these (a 1966 and a 1967) and they both exhibit this trait. Even with two people (about 375 lb total) standing on the bumperettes, the differance in negligable.

I have seen a lot of vinatge pictures of these (not even loaded with gear) with the wheels sitting straight and wanted to see if there is a fix for this. The new tires will not last long under this condition.

Thanks for any replies.

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey all, I gotta jump in here and tell you what us "HILLBILLY'S" here in Ky.have done (With good results) On the straight 151's and A-1's we replace the rear springs with front springs. It lowers the ride in the rear leveling the jeep and we have had them offroad with a good load in them with no adverse handling or bottoming. And we here tend to follow the theory of "IF IT WORKS.....IT'S
ALL GOOD" Food for thought ! Thanks for listening to my 2cents worth.

popacom / BILL KAGIN III in KY.

P.S. We also add limit straps,so if you are looking to have a no aftermarket appearance this probably won't be your ticket.

Last edited:

cstaup

It's designed for 1/4 tom max payload...Yea , right. The load specs are usually 1/2 thier capacity for "failure". You must also take into consideration that this truck is (IMO) better offroad than a straight axle as you have a mile of movement on the independent suspension. These trucks still have 16" of clearance, that's the same as a HMMWV. If you have no VW Bug look then your springs are getting weak or you have it combat loaded. As stated before , run with it and be cool on the sharp turns

saddamsnightmare

April 10th, 2010.

Hardbird:

Like it or not, these vehicles were Utility Trucks, meant to be loaded. The suspensions is set up to work under rated load. You could try popacorns solution and end up with a historically compromised vehicle, or you could just rotate the tires more often to equalize wear. If you ain't got that stance, your jeep ain't gonna dance. OR buy an M38A and have no worries, mate!

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:)

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well Historically compromised I say not! The front axle on these trucks carry the engine weight all the time. I have had more than 1 or 2 151's and A-1's and modded as I stated. we use our trucks
and the results with all we modded this way they have never failed to perform with ease all that was required by us or the Military. but as the gentleman said " IMO " I go with what has worked for me
on over 10 different trucks over the past 30 + years of dealing with them. ;)

poof

Dirty Hippie
Good Morning.. I read some place. about a modification to the back with some plates...
Might have been some one in Iola Wisconsin that did it..
But my Solution is.... Loose the "NO FAT CHICKS " Sticker and drive on Be proud...[thumbzup]
J.P.:mrgreen:

TFischer

Hey all, I gotta jump in here and tell you what us "HILLBILLY'S" here in Ky.have done (With good results) On the straight 151's and A-1's we replace the rear springs with front springs. It lowers the ride in the rear leveling the jeep and we have had them offroad with a good load in them with no adverse handling or bottoming. And we here tend to follow the theory of "IF IT WORKS.....IT'S
ALL GOOD" Food for thought ! Thanks for listening to my 2cents worth.

popacom / BILL KAGIN III in KY.

P.S. We also add limit straps,so if you are looking to have a no aftermarket appearance this probably won't be your ticket.
I am new to my M151A1 and am curious how long were the limiting straps

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks