• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M152 buying tips

canuck2a

Well not sure if this is even the right place for this post this but i am looking at buying a m152. Never owned a dodge before always been a old jeep guy.

I am looking at two units

1) The first unit is nice body little bit of rust and bondop under rear doors. It belongs to a buddy of mine. Depending on how you look at it this next thing is good or bad. A previous owner swapped in a chev engine and tranny but kept original axles. Then pulled the motor for another project and sold the 152 to my buddy. I like original but this does make the unit a little more functional and easier to fix out on the road. but the tool box that is behind the cab and runs from passenger to driverside has been hacked for the chev tcase and auto tranny. Buddy will let me have it for a steal of a deal.

2) The second is supposed to be all original with some missing parts off the motor but the owner has some m37's i can get all the parts from if i buy the unit. The body is supposed to be in excellant shape. wants couple thousand dollars for the rig but having no idea of drivetrain condition does make me nervous. Has not run in 25+ years.

What problem areas should i look for.

I want a very original looking vehicle, but want a unit to be very functional. It will not be a full resto as i want to drive it. Maybe do a expedition type rig out of it. would love a full on original drivetrain but that of breaking down and having no access to parts is something to think about.

Sorry for being longwinded but like i said i am a jeep guy and this is new territory. Any advice would be welcome.

Also having very hard time finding any real info on these trucks

Thanks

m37brat

Do not know of a M152 Dodge. What is it?'

Frank
The M152 is Canadian communication truck based on the M43. It has 4 windows on each with a single rear door. There were a few experimental versions for the U.S/ Army but never really went into production. The Canadian model has the 251 CI engine. I believe the experiential U.S. models had double doors like the M43.

Check this site for a little more info;

M152 CDN 3/4 TON PANEL TRUCK (G-741)

Here is another site;

http://www.signaltelecom.ca/M152%20I.html

There is also a good Canadian site about these trucks

Last edited:

m37brat

Thanks for the info. I have never seen one.

Frank
It's a really cool truck Frank. I had a chance to get one a few months ago and got cold feet. I'm really sorry I didn't pull the trigger on it. Will probably never have another chance to get one. To ease my pain I'm working on getting an R2 crash truck that is going to need a full restoration. Should know in a few weeks if I'm going to get it.

Jim

mlanarchist

Hi,
We just found one of these (M152 from 1955) and now own it. Trying to decide whether to restore it ourselves or flip it over. The engine runs and it has a lot of original stuff on it...hubby is really more into even older stuff

justindearb

I have one I just got last year there cool the 251 has more power but the weight of it offsets the extra power haha never the less a cool looking truckIMG_0201 (2).jpg

mlanarchist

That's a beauty! May I ask, are those the split rim tires? If not, where did you find tires? We want to swap the split rims out for something else.

My husband says he is absolutely inspired by the shape you have yours in. We're going in kinda a different direction, make it into a one of a kind camper/little steel house on wheels, not so much restoring as customizing. Looking for a vintage duel axle flatbed to rebuild and tow the Jeep behind it.:jumpin: Maybe find a way to lighten the body up a little. Probably do like four different colors. Charcoal, black, maroon, like that maybe? A moon roof in the curved part above the windsheild...this truck has retired from the military and joined the gypsies :)

He's having a blast scraping it down and getting to know it, and after seeing yours...wow...Two other questions: does anybody know where/how to get the winches and mirrors? Do M-37 parts work?

Last edited:

justindearb

the rims on mine are just the stock split rims and some old non directional tires but my other truck (m37) has the stock rims but it had radial 315/85/16= 35/11/16 and those tires are maxxis buckshot mudders and they are great all around tires but they don't make the same tire anymoreIMG_0222 (2).jpg