• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M16 Half Track Purchase, Need Advice

datadawg

Guys,
I'm trying to purchase an M16 Half Track and need some advice. The M16 I'm looking at is in Europe, had nut and bolt restoration by owner, firm at $65K. It's an original M16 with original WWII armor, original Maxson turret with four repro quad 50's. Owner says he used NOS parts throughout in restoration, other than fabricating SS fuel tanks and rear outside boxes. Detail on condition and restoration:

1. Engine, was totally rebuilt, with all new bearings, pistons, rings, valves & valve springs all the bores have st/st liners, crank & head has been re ground. New exhaust system. All the ancillaries have been rebuilt or nos. The Radiator & surge tank are also nos.
2. Gearbox & transfer box have new seals & gaskets.
3. All new brakes, brake cylinders & brake lines.
4. Complete new wiring harness from Maine. And all nos lights front & back. The rear lights also have in built indicators.
5. Tracks have not been replaced, only some of the road wheels have been replaced, because the others didn't need doing. It does have spare road wheels.
6. Interior, everything works. All the clocks, light & pull switches, horn button, glove box keys & compass, torch brackets & rifle brackets etc etc are original. All the seats & cab cover have new canvas.
7. Back interior, Seller claims his is the only original wartime M16 in Europe, though I have no idea if that is true. I did find some M16 units stored for 30 years in Belgium, so I presume those are original and that makes me doubt this is the only "original" M16 in Europe. The Belgian units would obviously need full restoration, a huge investment of time, money and energy... Y
8. This has the tombstone ammo racks, inc underfloor & rear drivers boxes . Both fuel tanks are newly made ST/ST tanks as well as the fuel tank covers. All the fuel lines are also new. Original radio table, grenade & machine gun boxes. First aid brackets & armored first aid kit. Aerial mounts. 50 cal spare barrel mounts (NOT barrels). And both the correct rear storage boxes (which I think were reproduced) and bucket & bracket. It has the correct wartime radio c/w commanders intercom box & mic.
9. Maxson turret is complete with 4 x replica 50 cals & 4 tomstone ammo boxes. Correct rare early gun sight. Nos motor controls, wiring, nos turret bearings, nos seat canvas. It manually rotates & elevates but doesn't run with the electric motor (I can't tell if it's missing or he has it and it needs to be rebuilt and reconnected).

So, the advice I need is this:,

1) Is the price reasonable or am I overpaying? By the time I bring it here, I'll be lucky if I don't exceed $70K. I don't think the Auction America sale of Littlefield's M16 is a reasonable comp, since I assume whoever bought that for $220K was off his meds.
2) Is it better to get an unrestored M16 and have it restored, so you know exactly what was done? What is a good price for an unrestored unit? (not M16A1 with post WWII modified armor, but an actual M16 with fold down armor).
3) I do want a fully overhauled HT that I can use and enjoy. I do not have time, motivation, knowledge or skill to restore one. If I buy a "project" in Europe, is it better to have it restored there or in US (better in terms of expense, expertise and access to parts).

I tried to post some photos but couldn't. Might have to do it in separate post.

datadawg

I think the rules have just changed. If it was made before 1956 (I may be wrong on the date), the prohibition has been lifted. At least that's what I've been told. I am still searching for the actual regulation or documentation.

microjeep

In Memorial
In Memorial
Please take this with a grain of salt, I don't know a lot about this but have been told (by a guy who is importing fv432's and such) returning american vehicles was always against some crazy rule but no one enforced it, but now is almost impossible after 9/11 unless you do it as a museum? Again I am not an expert in the field. Please just check into this before sending money. Micro

Hummermark

Hi £40k ish sound about the right money for a nice half track in the UK add the turret with guns tome stone amo cans and correct generator and solenoid triggers on guns sounds ok to me price wise.has it all the under armour? As often this is missing.

datadawg

Hi £40k ish sound about the right money for a nice half track in the UK add the turret with guns tome stone amo cans and correct generator and solenoid triggers on guns sounds ok to me price wise.has it all the under armour? As often this is missing.
It has the turret and 8 tombstone ammo cans. He said all armor is original, but I'm 3,000 miles away and even if I were close, I'm no metallurgist, so not sure how to tell. Guy seems trustworthy and is pretty plugged in to the re-enactment scene. So it's not some craigslist or ebay sale, the seller has some history. It's no guaranty he's 100% truthful, and I guess I need to be cautious... like the saying goes, trust but verify...

I was thinking of doing a pre-purchase inspection, but the shop I have spoken to (A&S in UK) deals with post war British armor mainly, and BAIV, which has lots of expertise in Halftracks, is in Belgium. So having them do it would be far too expensive. Plus they were offering me an M5, beautifully restored, but it would be awkward to tell them, "thanks but I am going to buy elsewhere and BTW, can you go check it out?".

PaFarmer

I just got into reenacting. There are two halftracks in the group I joined here in PA. The guys are not active on this site, but have tons of knowledge and probably know folks in England who know the vehicle your are interested in or someone who does. For the money you are looking to invest, this is a great opportunity to take the family on a trip to England and check the vehicle out. I'll PM you the website and you can see about making some additional contacts. Good luck and I hope you get one.

M215

Halftracks are awesome, I have spent over 10 years restoring our M2A1 from a bare frame to its present 95% complete condition (I don’t think it is possible to ever be 100% complete). Regardless what you spend on a halftrack, best to check it out in person or pay a trusted individual who is knowledgeable with all things halftrack. The Littlefield M16 that sold at auction was not even a real M16. It was built on an M2 frame (10” shorter than M3 / M16 frame) with a fabricated frame extension added by someone. Classic example of buyer beware. Keep in mind replacement tracks run $5-8K for a pair and boogie wheels 16 x $150. Original armor is easily identifiable from repo pieces. Each section of armor is stamped with an H-number, serial number and makers mark. Usually stamped along the edges, or a corner always on the interior facing side of the armor.
Good luck and be ready for your wallet and bank account to hemorrhage, but they are worth it.
Karl

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These are getting harder and harder to find. If you have the funds and really want it, go for it and enjoy it while you can.

datadawg

Halftracks are awesome, I have spent over 10 years restoring our M2A1 from a bare frame to its present 95% complete condition (I don’t think it is possible to ever be 100% complete). Regardless what you spend on a halftrack, best to check it out in person or pay a trusted individual who is knowledgeable with all things halftrack. The Littlefield M16 that sold at auction was not even a real M16. It was built on an M2 frame (10” shorter than M3 / M16 frame) with a fabricated frame extension added by someone. Classic example of buyer beware. Keep in mind replacement tracks run $5-8K for a pair and boogie wheels 16 x $150. Original armor is easily identifiable from repo pieces. Each section of armor is stamped with an H-number, serial number and makers mark. Usually stamped along the edges, or a corner always on the interior facing side of the armor.
Good luck and be ready for your wallet and bank account to hemorrhage, but they are worth it.
Karl
Thanks for the armor ID info. Just so we're talking about the same M16 that was auctioned, you mean this one was not an authentic M16??
http://www.auctionsamerica.com/even...&feature=&collection=&grouping=&category=Cars
That is just crazy, to pay this kind of money for an amalgamated vehicle. Or am I being too hard core and the provenance and authenticity don't mean so much?

Last edited:

FrankUSMC

I think you are now going to start seeing the price of halftracks go up with the remanufacturing of tracks again. I put my very original and complete, but unrestored M2 with winch up for sell during the time when the supply of tracks had dried up. My M2 even had very nice tracks on it. The offers I had were around $6000. I am so happy I did not sell it, or in that case give it away.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

M215

Correct, the Littlefield M16 may have had an original body, but it was on an M2 frame. There are pictures somewhere on the web showing the underside with the fabricated frame extension.

jdmcm

Importing US made armor built prior to 1956 is just about as easy as importing a car....rules changed in 2014

datadawg

Correct, the Littlefield M16 may have had an original body, but it was on an M2 frame. There are pictures somewhere on the web showing the underside with the fabricated frame extension.
If you can post a link, would love to see it. I could not find it.

I did find out today that the M16 I am considering buying left the factory as a an M13 (dual 50 cal turret), but was converted to an M16 around 1943. Its production #pegs it as M13. Wikipedia says half M13 production was converted to M16 right on the production line. Not sure how trustworthy Wikipedia is, but it's something.
Obviously the big issue is authenticity as a true WWII M16, since it's priced accordingly.

steve1973

I have an M2A1 halftrack that I have been slowly restoring and have helped my buddy Don restore his M3 halftrack. There are a lot of parts now that are very difficult to find. If you are looking for a turn key M16 halftrack that is all original and complete I think that price is good. I'm not sure what is the latest on the rules but if you can and do import the track you have a container cost, VAT(not exactly sure what that is) and import taxes into the states along with customs fees. That alone can cost an additional $20K. If you are looking for a turn key halftrack with a big gun on it I know of an M15 halftrack for sale for $90K. It is a ground up fully restored halftrack and is the only restored M15 in private hands.

datadawg

I have an M2A1 halftrack that I have been slowly restoring and have helped my buddy Don restore his M3 halftrack. There are a lot of parts now that are very difficult to find. If you are looking for a turn key M16 halftrack that is all original and complete I think that price is good. I'm not sure what is the latest on the rules but if you can and do import the track you have a container cost, VAT(not exactly sure what that is) and import taxes into the states along with customs fees. That alone can cost an additional $20K. If you are looking for a turn key halftrack with a big gun on it I know of an M15 halftrack for sale for $90K. It is a ground up fully restored halftrack and is the only restored M15 in private hands.
VAT is value added tax and doesn't apply when you ship goods out of the country. Total import should run maybe $5K, there are no import duties AFAIK.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks